SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I burnt out my turbo! yay!! wahoo! wtf! well im gona be replacing it in the next week or so i would like to upgrade it so that in the near future i have less to do when getting to stage 4,5,6 does anyone know what turbo i should use? and will it work w/o reprograming the ecu? lots to learn!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
You might want to try looking at car-parts for a used unit. I also remember a couple of weeks ago someone on here was talking about adding on Volvo turbo as an upgrade for a maptun stage 4???? Not sure what model it comes off of.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Someone should check and see if the flange on the 2.0t manifold is the same as the 2.0T manifold, seeing the 2.0t uses a smaller, Garrett made turbo and tend to use odd flanges.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I still don't think it came off a volvo.

get one from saab for the 2.0T Aero. Or get one thats done up to a 16T version of the same turbo

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only difference between the 207L and R manifolds is a small metal mount that I'm assuming supports the weight of the turbo and prevents the manifold from cracking. Either turbo will bolt up to either manifold.

·
Registered
621 Posts
97civicexvtec said:
The only difference between the 207L and R manifolds is a small metal mount that I'm assuming supports the weight of the turbo and prevents the manifold from cracking. Either turbo will bolt up to either manifold.
Even if the flange does not match, you can swap exhaust housings, bothing being TD-series turboochargers, they all use the saem cartridge, and you can swap the exhaust housings. I believe the turbines should be the same size so no fitment issues there. TD04 is a 6cm wheel, IIRC. TD05 is 7cm, TD06 is 8cm... To use one of these the cartridge is still hte same and housings will fit, you would need to have the turbine hole enlarged by a machine shop.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
lmpreza said:
Even if the flange does not match, you can swap exhaust housings, bothing being TD-series turboochargers, they all use the saem cartridge, and you can swap the exhaust housings. I believe the turbines should be the same size so no fitment issues there. TD04 is a 6cm wheel, IIRC. TD05 is 7cm, TD06 is 8cm... To use one of these the cartridge is still hte same and housings will fit, you would need to have the turbine hole enlarged by a machine shop.
The flange for the Volvo turbo is not the same. I've looked into it previously.

The turbo on the 2.0t and 2.8 v6 is a Garrett turbo, not an MHI. The 2.0T is the only engine in the SS lineup that uses the MHI TD turbo, so the housings are not swappable.

Just for fun, here's my stock TD04H-14T against my GT3071R. Not a very good picture but, oh well!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Frosty288 said:
The flange for the Volvo turbo is not the same. I've looked into it previously.

The turbo on the 2.0t and 2.8 v6 is a Garrett turbo, not an MHI. The 2.0T is the only engine in the SS lineup that uses the MHI TD turbo, so the housings are not swappable.

Just for fun, here's my stock TD04H-14T against my GT3071R. Not a very good picture but, oh well!

The garret turbocharger must have like the same identical cartridge as a TD series turbo then, because my 2.8 V6 has a cartridge damn near identical to a TD series turbo.

Went into the garage and looked at my mom's V6's turbo. It is without a shadow of a doubt a TD series turbocharger manufactured by MHI.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
:eek:

I am shocked.

I have been under the impression the smaller turbos were the Garrett series

And the 2.8 is a 15T? hmm..learning every day

·
Registered
943 Posts
the 2003-2005 linears use the Garretts. but I was given the impression that they changed to the TDO4s from 06 onwards to save on cost. apparently they are a bit "noisier" than the garretts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all!
Own car SAAB 9-3 SS Vector, manufactured in 2003, 175 HP, petrol, turbo, VIN: YS3FF49S931006021, with 5 speed АТМ.
My mechanic put software Т8 from SAAB 9-3 SS AERO with a manual gearbox.
I immediately felt the difference, because now the car should have 210 horsepower.
There is only one problem. Idle the engine is higher, about 900-950 rpm. Whether the gear selector in position D or P or N.
Could this be due to a mechanical problem? For example, a valve? Is there a difference between Trionic8 software for cars with automatic and manual transmission?
Can anyone point me where to look for the problem?
I want to ask is there any difference in hardware between 2.0t and 2.0T?
Or is it just the software? Is there a difference as to turbochargers?
I would be grateful for any feedback and support.
Please help me!
Thanks in advance!
BOBI

·
Super Moderator
19,061 Posts
Idle is at 900-950 rpm or is 900-950 higher than normal?

Yes, there is a software difference between automatic and manual. I'm surprised it hasn't been spitting codes.

2.0T has a bigger airbox, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, and different camshafts and valves in the head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Idle is at 900-950 rpm or is 900-950 higher than normal?

Yes, there is a software difference between automatic and manual. I'm surprised it hasn't been spitting codes.

2.0T has a bigger airbox, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, and different camshafts and valves in the head.
Thank you Diggs!
Idle is at 900-950 rpm. I ask because of another vehicle with manual transmission, the same procedure was performed, and there is no problem with the idle speed of the engine. What advice would you give? Back to the old software or looking for somewhere issue in a vacuum line? I saw that here
http://www.maptun.com/ecuGuide.php?kategori=174&produkt=1178&model=1181&listorder=40
only be done with the tuning software.
Where we have made a mistake?
In what range must be idle the engine for my model with automatic transmission?

Thanks in advance!
BOBI

1 - 20 of 39 Posts