SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi anyone use these? I have not really looked into it but with the key going into the floor are the wires for install still under the wheel?
:roll:

·
Super Moderator
20,434 Posts
Don't need one. Car will cool turbo on its own after you shut off car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car will do it? Yea with a timer.. I know I can run it for a few minutes after I drive it byt that is a PIA sometimes if I have to be some where other than sitting in the car.. LOL

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Then get there faster and let the turbo cool before you get out. It's just like the people behind me when I'm driving the speed limit. If they wanted to get there faster, they should have left sooner... Ron

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The best bet is a 1 minute cool down....it's something you just need to be religious about if you want the max time out of your turbo. On my Wife's Audi TT, she is great about it....but even after it's off, Audi built in a coolant after-run pump that also continues to circulate the coolant after driving, ever single time you shut the car off. It's a great feature and I wish the Saab had it for extra protection....

Sean

·
Registered
585 Posts
Turbo timers are only really critical in oil-cooled turbos; we have coolant circulated through ours so not only do they have another fluid running through them, but the coolant flow rate is much, much higher than the oil flow rate, allowing for much more effective cooling in a short period of time. The only time you really wouldn't have sufficient time for it to cool would be if you did a lot of highway pulls and just shut the car off at the end of the last one before braking back down to a stop. Assuming you get off the highway and park after driving hard (or spend a minute or so going through a neighborhood or parking lot after some nice twisties etc), a turbo timer is unnecessary.

In addition, its going to be very difficult to install because of the communication between the microchip in your key and the ECU through the CAN; you'll basically need to leave a spare key somewhere right next to the key-hole, effectively disabling the security feature and allowing your car to be started by anyone's thumb.

Basically, slow down speed racer, take care of your car so that it'll take care of you, and don't put her away hot. Basic mechanical sympathy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys thanx for the info.. Speed racer.. LOL Good one.. I really do not beat on the car nor does my wife, It is just always something I have done. I have had a hand full of DSM's in my time and always timed them all. I know it's not really a must I just like babying my cars.. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Our turbos are oil and water cooled, it would be a waste. Put your money towards a tune. Drive it hard, park and go about your business. You have probably noticed how hot these engine bays get, your turbo will survive.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Turbo timers are only really critical in oil-cooled turbos; we have coolant circulated through ours so not only do they have another fluid running through them, but the coolant flow rate is much, much higher than the oil flow rate, allowing for much more effective cooling in a short period of time. The only time you really wouldn't have sufficient time for it to cool would be if you did a lot of highway pulls and just shut the car off at the end of the last one before braking back down to a stop. Assuming you get off the highway and park after driving hard (or spend a minute or so going through a neighborhood or parking lot after some nice twisties etc), a turbo timer is unnecessary.

In addition, its going to be very difficult to install because of the communication between the microchip in your key and the ECU through the CAN; you'll basically need to leave a spare key somewhere right next to the key-hole, effectively disabling the security feature and allowing your car to be started by anyone's thumb.

Basically, slow down speed racer, take care of your car so that it'll take care of you, and don't put her away hot. Basic mechanical sympathy.
^
What he said!

And in the old days turbos didn't really spec synthetic oil all the time. That will certainly help.
And again just let it idle for 30-60 seconds after a hard run which should be rare.
There's not too much driving that has full boost redlines then immediately shutting the engine down.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Our turbos are oil and water cooled, it would be a waste. Put your money towards a tune. Drive it hard, park and go about your business. You have probably noticed how hot these engine bays get, your turbo will survive.
I assume this is the same coolant going through the engine, so the lower thermostat couldn't hurt, right? And much less hassle...

-jason

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I always let mine idle for at least a minute if I've used much boost, it's just a habit from my Porsche Turbo days,and WRX, DSM Talon AWD, Turbo T/A, and Chrysler Laser Turbo. But it's probably overkill with the water-cooled turbo, but I feel better doing it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny you guys mention the coolant flow through the turbo.. All DSM have coolant flowing through the turbo and almost all the guys run one.. I know I did.. I hear what everyone is saying that it is over kill but just wanted to be safe and see what you guys with experience on these cars are doing.. Coming from DSM's it was almost a must.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I assume this is the same coolant going through the engine, so the lower thermostat couldn't hurt, right? And much less hassle...

-jason
I'm the only 9-3 on this forum with a lower T-stat it looks like...
was a pain in the *** to do, but it def. helps

engine runs slightly cooler on the extremely hot days, but it doesnt run cold. 180* stat from autozone. Dont remember the make sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts