SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a '94 2.3L FPT (aero auto), I've a whistly kind of whine coming from the turbo area, louder on boost 2-3k rpm (the dump valve is dead and getting replaced soon but that's not the problem), I think my turbo's dead.

It's a T25 ATM, I've heard that the T28 is a direct bolt on mod, I'm wondering if this is true? I'd like a little more power top-end, any other suggestions greatly appreciated aswell. I'm not looking for a huge difference, or lots of lag, hopefully a remap won't be necessary.

Current mods - ITG filter + 3"C/B (rest coming soon), so I'm thinking spool up shouldn't be a problem.

cheers
Dan.

·
Banned
637 Posts
'Thinking' yer Turbo is dead is a whole different animal than "knowing' it's dead :) Suggest undoing the Rubber boot in front of the Turbo's inlet then stick your finger(s) in there and spin the Impellor and try wiggling it around.. it should spin easily and there should be NO play when you try to wiggle the thing.
Large play/wiggle and or a refusal to spin indicates a 'dead' turbo. Slight wiggle means still some good life left in it.. In short: current Turbos do not die all that easily.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I think ususally, before the turbo dies, you get a load of smoke bellow out of the car when the engine is running. This happens before the turbo goes completely, but it's a sign the oil seals inside the turbo have gone, leaking oil into it, and therefore blowing out of the exhaust.

Another test I think is, start up the car, and standing at the door, press the gas pedal to about 3k rpm, then release it, and watch the back of the car. If smoke comes out of the exhaust, then yes, it's the turbo packing its bags to retire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts