SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, I am in the market for big boost on my 99 9-5se and have some questions before I buy.
Do the cooling lines and sensors need to be modified with a "universal" t like the gt35r?
Is the existing intercooler sufficient to cool a more powerful turbo?
And how would i add a wastegate? (reusing old one V buying a t with integrated WG V buying and fitting a new one)
and what turbos is everyone using on the forums?
thanks for the input!;ol;

·
Registered
491 Posts
do you have any supporting mods yet? A GT35r is overkill for these cars unless you have put in forged internals, cams, etc. I think you need to plan this out a good bit more before buying a bigger turbo

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You will 2-3x more on everything else needed to get a GT35r to fit than you spend on the turbo itself... not to mention you'll need forged pistons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had my eye on the forged pistons that genuine saab offers, also the uprated cams. I trust Saab engineering staff gave other unlisted (in this thread) parts enough strength to handle the 300-350 hp range, am I incorrect in my assumption? Or is my guessing game going to land me in a hospital with shards of my engine block embedded within my lungs

·
Registered
491 Posts
Man a GT35R is designed for well over 350HP. Its a 500HP+ turbo. For 300-350 you just need a worked over TD04 with a 19T compressor and bigger exhaust housing or something like a GT2871 which would get you into the 400's but a much higher price point.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so with a td04 with the larger exhaust housing (with a 3" DP im assuming) and a remap to match, would i need the forged pistons? i dont want to put 100% faith in the stock pistons with 146k but i also dont have another grand to drop on installing the pistons..:eek:

·
Registered
401 Posts
being a 5 speed it must be a 2.3, you have lots more support mods to do before you can even think about a big turbo.. 35 is over kill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts