SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I have been searching the Internet and local junkyards for a turbo diesel truck that I can take the t from, among other options. I'm considering both a holset and a CT26 (mkIII supra). To flow this boost, do I need custom headers and a 3" DP? I'm fabbing a 3" "cobra pipe" and want max airflow for max power. Ignore the blasphemy of fitting a supra turbo in a saab.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Your car is a 4cyl right? You'll need to at a minimum fit stronger pistons to hold substantially more boost than a TD04 will hold. Look at what JZW has done for their drag car. You'll also want a larger intercooler to cool off that extra boost I'd guess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its the 4. Would it be feasible to reign boost in using the ecu until I can afford forged internals?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
There are a few Holset 9-5's out there, and yes, you'd need forged internals and a long LONG list of other stuff to go along with it.

You won't be able to get a 3" pipe to the turbo, too much stuff in the way. The best intake pipe is the "king cobra" fitted to the 06+ 9-5's. Search the boards. If you stick with the TD04 (er, wait, your 99 is probably only a GT17?) you'll need the compressor housing to go with the KC pipe. It is larger and flows better than any of the aftermarket cobras out there.

There is a lot you can do to the 9-5 to make it very formidable before crazy turbos comes into play.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah its the 4. Would it be feasible to reign boost in using the ecu until I can afford forged internals?
Not really, also it'd be a little pointless b/c you'd have all the lag and reduced low rpm power of a big turbo without the benefit of it. Probably best to save the big turbo for last in terms of order of modifications. A 19t TD04 and 06+ cobra would let you get righ to the limit of the stock pistons and internals without too much expense or lag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts