SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just replaced the garrest turbo on my 2001 9-5 with a td04 and now have a moderate oil leak. It looks like it’s coming from the return line at the top where it drains from the turbo but I’m not sure. Any help would be appreciated. I replaced the gasket at the top of the drain line, is it possible it’s leaking from the pan area somehow?

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
clean everthing, start the engine and check for the source of the leakage.
I doubt it is the return line at the bottom, there is no pressure inside.
I would suspect the feed line, check for sealings there (at the oil filter module).

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
yea, I agree with thaistatos, that is an awful lot of oil to be coming from the non-pressurized drain. And since the oil is on everything, you're going to have to clean that up and clean it good. A can of engine degreaser sprayed on it and then hosed off. Then start the engine to figure out where it's coming from.

I also agree that the suspect is the feed line by where it comes out of the oil filter module. you've got a lot of oil on the AC compressor and there's really no way to get oil from the (unpressurized) drain over there.

Is the oil filter tight? as a hint, one time I changed the oil on my wife's minivan and the old gasket stuck to the block and when I put the new filter on I didn't notice it. When I started it all was good but when it got warm oil was everywhere. I'll never make that mistake again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI,

Looks like the actual oil feed line itself is leaking. It came used on the turbo and looked ok but I guess it’s not. Do you have to remove the turbo to replace that line? :oops:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

So after two more weekends of driving myself nuts with this oil leak I discovered that the oil filter housing itself is in fact the cause of the leak. We had to get rather aggressive with the original banjo bolt to get it out and ended up cracking the housing. Is it possible to remove this housing from underneath the car, it looks tight with the ac compressor but Im wondering if anyone has done it before or has any tips?

thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi

So after two more weekends of driving myself nuts with this oil leak I discovered that the oil filter housing itself is in fact the cause of the leak. We had to get rather aggressive with the original banjo bolt to get it out and ended up cracking the housing. Is it possible to remove this housing from underneath the car, it looks tight with the ac compressor but Im wondering if anyone has done it before or has any tips?

thanks
It should unbolt and come right off without issue. The WIS directs just to take the lines off and remove it. If clearance really becomes an issue, it's not hard to just unbolt the AC comp and move it out of the way a little bit. You do not need to remove the lines from it you can just move it off to the side but even that shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi

thanks
Make sure to order the yellow oil cooler line o-rings. I tried reusing one time and they leaked terribly. I could not find a similar size locally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts