SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble diagnosing this one. I recently had my engine replaced, same turbo, and have noticed a change in the sound of spool up on acceleration. Instead of a clean low whistle, it sounds muddy, like there is an air leak. The RPMs stay quiet, performance seems OK, but the sound just doesn't sound right, and it sounds distinctly different. I have thought about taking it to my local Saab mechanic, but since he's busy I thought I'd ask here first what might be the case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check where the turbo meets the cobra pipe. It might not be sealing properly. Make sure to check from above and below that it's sealing right. I would also make sure the o-ring that goes there is intact. I recently messed with the turbo on my car and all looked good, but it was making the noise you're describing. After checking, it turned out the top looked fine but the bottom had a gap between the pipe and the turbo. Corrected that and all was well again

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
That cobra pipe is a royal PITA to get on correctly. I always end up sliding under the car to take a look at the bottom before tightening the bolt, since I rarely get one of those on straight the first time around.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed. When the new engine was installed in January, the previous (excellent) shop used a kit exhaust manifold gasket, and that was leaking. They also used screws instead of studs for the exhaust off the turbo, so that was also leaking.

The new shop put in a new exhaust manifold gasket and turbo studs. Good as new now and happy with it. Only pain point was that this took 3hrs of labor... seems a lot of this time for this job, no?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Probably 2- 2.5hr for manifold gasket remove and replace, plus cleaning of mating surfaces, and another 0.5- 1.0hr for turbo studs and checking the gasket there, oil lines, cleanup, refill.. sounds standard to me.

Whats the labor rate? My shop currently charges $120/hr labor and $160/hr diag. Can't be as bad as that :/ it's out of control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts