SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone as you should know my car is 2001 93 LPT fitted with GT17 Garrett.
Well car started smoking really bad I knew it was the turbo so I did the UNTHINKABLE..I blocked the oil Feed to turbo and opened the wastegate .
Smoke gone. NOW I'm actually driving like this temporarily and I'm quite aware of possible issues that could arise.
What turbo can I install other that GT17 for TD04.
WITHOUT Doing software.
I like Garrett turbos and they are freely available in RSA.
PLEASE help me choose.
Not looking for big power but an upgrade on GT17.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
Anything larger than the stock turbo will require a remapped ECU. Without that, you're likely to experience fuel cutoff under full boost. Your only alternative is a manual boost controller (MBC), but I'm not sure how well those work with the T7 system.

·
Registered
18,225 Posts
MBC is a no go on a T7.

Like Jeremy said, anything you substitute will need remapping. You can put a TD04 on (you will need the lines too) ... that's the most straightforward upgrade. But, it won't do anything power wise other than perhaps move the spool lag a little or maybe come on a little stronger on the low side unless you upgrade to software. One advantage to the TD04 is that you can use a stock B205R program... but you do need to have the immobilizer code tweaked by a tuner OR set it with a Tech II.

Cheapest upgrade route: Buy a TD04 with lines; get a T7 ECU from an OG 9-3 with B205R software; tweak with Tech II

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys. I don't trust anyone here to tune my car it might self destruct...
I will be buying a new center core and just keep it as is
Standard.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks guys. I don't trust anyone here to tune my car it might self destruct...
I will be buying a new center core and just keep it as is
Standard.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well here is an update!!!
I was speaking to a guy earlier and he also had GT17 fitted He installed a TD04 without turning and says the car adapted just fine and has no issues.
??????? What to do.
Now I'm changing my mind and buying TD04.
What you think.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
TD04 will work as substitute for GT17. You might notice slight lack of power in low RPMs.
Forget MBC, it will NOT work your car.
If you want all of TD04, you need suitable tune.

·
Registered
18,225 Posts
Running the larger turbo without a tune is possible, but I'd think of it as a waste of power to install a TD04 and not do at least a stock B205R TD04 tune. You'll really enjoy the TD04 if you tune for it.

OTOH, you could just get a B205R ECU, tweak it with a Tech II to match the rest of your electronics, and you're done. You could install the turbo, drive to the Tech II guy, install the ECU in a few minutes, and pay the Tech II guy a few bucks to finish it off. Or, as I mentioned previously (I think, lots of threads out here), a tuner could even do the tweak to a stock ECU and mail it to you for a swap. But again, I might at least do a stage 1 if I was paying a tuner for an hour of work.

I know a tuner with and excellent reputations who will do one for you for relatively short money. I would not worry about the quality of the work.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I'd seriously consider a tune-less TD04 just for the reliability boost. More power is great, but essentially maintenance free ownership is always worth pursuing. However, I would hear in mind what Jeremy mentioned about the possibility for the engine management to get confused with a bigger turbo... That scenario makes sense to me - I have seen it on my T5'd c900 with a big turbo... Boost comes on quite strong and quite suddenly, and the ECM doesn't like it.

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
My 1997 900 drove fine without a tune with a TD-04 until I really floored it. It would routinely cut the fuel under full boost, which obviously wasn't good if I tried to pass someone aggressively. When I drove it a little more normally, it was fine.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Yeah, that's exactly what I get on my SPG. T5 seems to freak out when boost comes up too quickly..... as long as I'm gentle on the throttle it pulls hard but if I just lay into it I get fuel cut. T7 may do better - but I wouldn't just expect it to. By and large T5 and T7 seem to behave the same most of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts