SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my rebuild turbo today. Has anyone done the removal and refitting before? Any tips, hints or suggestions in addition to the procedures in the Haynes manual? How long will the total procedure take?

It almost looks like a piece of art. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wulf,
That's what mine looks like, still in the box. Waiting to receive new hoses, valves and to clean the lines before installing it though. I checked it out, and found that it may be easier to remove it from the top, IMO.
Is there any priming to be done to the turbo before installing, or break in period??

·
Registered
527 Posts
Prime it by leaving off the oil return pipe, disconnecting the DI cassette and taking out the fuse for the fuel injectors/fuel pump.

Now turn the car over, until oil comes out of the return pipe. It can take up to 60 secs for it to stream out.

Fix up , then I would let the car idle for 10 mins and check for leaks (oil/water)
P

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
paolo said:
Now turn the car over, until oil comes out of the return pipe. It can take up to 60 secs for it to stream out.P
Damn you must be strong!!:eek:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Wulf said:
I received my rebuild turbo today. Has anyone done the removal and refitting before? Any tips, hints or suggestions in addition to the procedures in the Haynes manual? How long will the total procedure take?

It almost looks like a piece of art. :D
That's a beaut, who did the rebuild? $$?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found it on eBay for $425 + $25 shipping from a guy who does a lot of rebuilding. He also has the balancing equipment. I probably could have done the rebuild myself and buying the parrts for $100 but I didn't want to guess with the balancing and screw something up. I figure I can probably sell my old turbo for $100-$150 so it really wasn't worth it to mess with it myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270165564142

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is in but it took longer than expected. I had the greatest difficulty with one of the coolant lines. It was really difficult to loosen because it was on the back of the turbo on the engine side. When it was time for re-attaching, the line was a little bit bent so I had the most difficult time getting that bolt back in. And I must have dropped the copper washer about a 100 times.. :x And when it thought I was all done and filling up the coolant, I found out quickly that I forgot to tighten that same line ;oops: .

I was trying to get the turbo out from the top but I got it stuck somehow. Then I tried from the bottom and with the right twist and turn, it came right out.

paolo said:
Prime it by leaving off the oil return pipe, disconnecting the DI cassette and taking out the fuse for the fuel injectors/fuel pump.

Now turn the car over, until oil comes out of the return pipe. It can take up to 60 secs for it to stream out.

Fix up , then I would let the car idle for 10 mins and check for leaks (oil/water)
P
That was a good tip and worked great. The manual said to fill the oil chamber with oil before installing and starting but didn't really give any tips on how to do it. This was a far better and easier method.

When I took it for a test drive, I suddenly heard a big PFFFFFF sound (not sure how else to describe it) and the engine shut down. I looked in my rear view mirror expecting to see smoke in the air and oil/coolant on the road but it fortunately wasn't a failure. One of the intake hoses came off because I didn't tighten it enough. I was able to slide it back on, drove home very slowly, put it back on the ramps and tightened it. It's all fine now and the engine runs great.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Wulf said:
I suddenly heard a big PFFFFFF sound (not sure how else to describe it) and the engine shut down. I looked in my rear view mirror expecting to see smoke in the air and oil/coolant on the road but it fortunately wasn't a failure. One of the intake hoses came off because I didn't tighten it enough. I was able to slide it back on, drove home very slowly, put it back on the ramps and tightened it. It's all fine now and the engine runs great.
Amazing how scary and "terminal" that sounds isnt it :eek:

Happened to me a couple of times and I straight away think - new engine :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris 9-5 said:

Yes, that was a horrible sound.. I assume the same happened to you at one time?

I have done 1600 miles with the new turbo and it is running great. And no more blue smoke at start-up so it was well worth the time and money knowing that the old one would have failed sooner or later. :D The old one is on eBay so I am curious to see if it is worth any money.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:

Happened to me too after cleaning the throttle body on a dark road. Immediately thought new engine too or at the best new pistons but I sat there thinking of upgrades that could be done during the rebuild.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Thanks for that link Wulf.

I see that he has the TD04HL as well. When my GT17 buys the ranch that's what I'll be getting to replace it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
paolo said:

P
Which one is the oil return pipe??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just finished installing my new turbo. It wasn't too bad at all, worse part really was getting the oil return hose back on. I'm gonna have to replace that anyways since this one is showing signs of leakage.
I also installed a new MAF since I've gotten cel code P0172 3x this week and the car stalled out yesterday while the wife was driving.
When I started the car, it stalled out twice while idling and seemed like it was having a hard time, but after a quick test drive all seems fine.
Tomorrow, I'll take it for a spirited drive and check out the performance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
all in all, did you notice a noticeable change from the Garrett. And did you have to change the cooling or oil lines or did you keep the original ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Kept the original lines, cleaned them good though. Will only change the oil return hose/pipe. But still had a stalling issue this morning, so I'll track that down soon enough. I hope it's not the DI.

Yeah, I noticed a big difference :cheesy: . The old turbo was on it's way out.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You kept the original cooling lines? Garrett to TD04?
P

1 - 20 of 30 Posts