SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, and I couldn't figure out if this should go here or under the workshop forum... so sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.

Anyway, I was wondering if some one more knowledgeable than I could help me. I have a 97 900S 2.3 non-turbo, and I was wondering if I could put a turbo from a 2.3 9000 in there. As far as I know they are the same, but I am, admitedly, a Saab newbie.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
You're right about the performance side of things, but try to the 9000 forum. They should be able to help more. But basically the concensus is that its waaaay easier to just buy a facotyr turbo car than to do a retrofit. But if we all did what was "normal" we wouldn't be at this site, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot man, I'll try there.

The thing is, I have a friend who's willing to "hook me up" with a turbo he has for a 9000, so it'll probably be considerably cheaper, since he probably won't let me give him much for it.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If that is the case then I'd go crunch the numbers. Only you can decide if its worth it, you know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... He's big on working on his own cars. In fact, he machined his own headers, so he'll help me through the harder steps.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
if you use the search functionyou can find numerous threads abotu this, there was one large one recently, but we came to a general conclusion that it would not be worth the cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but the search feature is coming up to an error page when i search for anything... and I couldn't find the thread in the most recent few pages.

Do you recall why it wasn't worth it? Think it would it be worth it for me if I had the connections I talked about earlier?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It wasn't worth it because there is significant cost associated with a turbo retrofit. But to go buy a similar car just with a turbo would be less of a cost differeance than that to do the retrofit, you know what I mean?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha. Thing is, it probably won't cost me much, and I really like my car. A really clean coupe is a little hard to find.

The problem I'm having isn't really with the cost, I just wanted to make sure it's possible.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Alot of the cost is the hardware, which you say you can get exhaust manifold and turbo cheap, and then an exhaust isnt that much. But now you get to the tricky parts, what are you going to do about the ECU and how your going to control all that extra air? What about the high compression of the N/A engine? The ecu and all the wireing and whatnot is where it seems everyone hits a wall and bails on the project. There have been a few people who have wanted to do what you are thinking, and are able to do the hardware thing.

How are you going to control it? The Tronic 5 system is VERY complex with all its sensors and then the ecu and wireing harness and figuring out how it all goes is one way. I dont know of any company that can hack the Monotronic (?) ECU. Maybe a Stand Alone system could prove itself.

Just think everything out before you start dropping any money on the project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, that would be the crappy part. I'll have to talk to my friend again, he might already have that figured out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You could always drop in a good used turbo engine,transmission (I think the tranny is different also),and wiring harness with ecu-maybe if you came by a wrecked car this could be had for relatively cheap.How much are you willing to spend on this project,that is the real question.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yes, the problem here is that it is hard to separate out what is possible from what is probable. In theory, anything is possible if you have enough money and time and the car is not your daily driver. Is it easy to drop a chevy 350 into your car and make it rear wheel drive? Yes. But even if you already have the entire drivetrain, it's gonna cost a lot to do and the car will be out of comission for a long time.

Let's say you forget about getting SAAB's sophistocated engine/boost management system working, get everything physically assembled, and run a manual boost controller. And, of course, find a way to add the large amount of extra fuel needed (possibly using a Superchip or rising rate fuel pressure regulator a la c900 turbo?) There is still a lot to cover.

The static compression ratios are different between NA and Turbo. This means your converted car will be more likely to knock when boost is applied on top of that compression (preignition). OK, so you run less boost, add more fuel, right? Well the bottom end is usually tougher on a turbo engine to handle the extra strain, gear ratios are wider because tehre is more torque (you want your gears to be useful.. trust me they're barely useful on the Turbos), suspension/brakes are usually different to handle a car that is in a completely different performance class than the NA IMHO.

Of course, then, one hot summer day, the car could still preignite and knock a piston into pieces. Then it's time to go SAAB Turbo shopping anyways.. DOH

That said, it would definately be cool to see this done by someone rather than letting naysayers like myself discourage them. Especially if it's easier than we always make it sound. Please dont take this as me being mean, I'm just trying to give you an idea of what this would take. I wanted to do the same thing to my old c900's, and everyone jsut told me to buy a turbo car. I found out why.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Call some Stand-Alone engine management companies and see if they can handel the ng900 n/a, I know due to the DIC the turbo cars cant really do this.

AEM has one and proably a bunch others. I say try to find an engine management system first beit a remapped ECU or a stand alone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry to budge in just like that but i a question regarding Turbo.

Do u guys fix a Turbo Timer on ur Turbo-ed SAAB?:cheesy:
Just curious though,what about gauges? My C900 doesn't have a turbo gauge,is it necessary to fix one?

Thanks and sorry again;);oops:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hey alkt,

You'll get your best answer by posting a new thread into the Classic 900 forum. This is the one for the later model ("new generation") 900's and classic 9-3's.

But, to answer your question:

Most people (In my experience) do not fit turbo timers, as that would require teh reverse lock on teh car to be removed. With it in place, there's no way to get the key out and leave teh car running in neutral.

As for the turbo guage, if you have a turbo but no guage, you probably have an LPT (low pressure turbo) model. This means that you have a simplified version of the turbo 900's that doesnt run electronic boost control. Your boost (assuming all is working fine) will never go over what your wastegate is set at (not sure for LPT, but wastegate for regular turbo is ~5 or 6 psi)

But check with the real c900 people, as they know best when it comes to those cars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry Fast Ed,just making my C900 as an example. I have a C9-3 also and my dad drives a 9000CD.All 3 cars doesn't have the Turbo Gauge:cry:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts