SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my 82 turbo 900 saab needs new head gasket while i do it also want to get the turbo up to 9psi what mods will i need to do to head and motor for this 2 work also will standard turbo do 9psi(new to turbos)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
mines a standard turbo and i run 9psi daily :confused: well, when my turbo wasn't blown i did :roll: and tomorrow with a new turbo i shall again run 9+ psi... for a short while i ran up to about 16-17psi daily, the engines still fine, it's how i managed to blow the turbo though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but doesnt motor cut out with to much boost? or is that only in latter models also what psi do they run standard im new to saab and turbos mine is standard 1982 900 turbo.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
sanctity said:
but doesnt motor cut out with to much boost? or is that only in latter models also what psi do they run standard im new to saab and turbos mine is standard 1982 900 turbo.
unless you have an LPT (Low Pressure Turbo, meaning no APC or intercooler), then it should limit your boost around 10-12psi, and you won't hit the fuel cutoff until 14psi... at least that's how mine works, i'm not sure if australia got the LPTs or not, we never did

EDIT: nvm, you have an 82 turbo, meaning it probably is an LPT, cuz i don't think the APC existed till 85? and it's also an 8 valve... still, i think you could run pressures like that, i've heard of other members doing it without trouble

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do i look for to see if it has one.also if u can help is it hard to fit intercooler to it as want to do that 2

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
^^ edited post

the intercooler if you have one is going to be right behind the left headlight, it'll look like a small radiator, and the APC will be in the left side fenderwell, it'll be a black box, should say APC on it

EDIT: and fitting an intercooler isn't difficult, you just need the intake pipes and the intercooler itself... i wouldn't run any real amounts of boost without an intercooler and APC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok will look tomorrow i know it dont have intercooler but want to fit one,but should be able to run 9-10psi all the time in it. will it make much differance

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
will it make a difference to run taht without the intercooler? yes it will :eek: don't run that much boost with no intercooler, but if your asking will it make a difference with 9psi vs. what you have now, oh yes it will :cheesy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks ok will go hunting tomorrow for parts and let u know how i go after motor all back together

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
alrighty :) sounds good, good luck man, 9psi is where all the fun begins :cheesy:

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
82 was a change over year. First half of 82 had 8 valve turbo without APC or intercooler, second half had it with APC and (some? all?) had intercooler. It will say right on your boost guage likely APC if your car is so equipped.

My car is early 82. You can fairly safely turn the boost up if everything is in good order. But you have to keep it in the back of your mind that you have and monitor for knock, overboost, lean conditions by your own observation. There is a manifold over pressure switch that will cut fuel if boost exceeds (18-20?) psi.

The later 82 and onward have the APC and knock detection to monitor that for you automatically.

One thing they did to err n the side of caution with the pre 82 1/2's is a lower compression ratio. CR is 7.2:1 on the early T8 and 8.5:1 .

Right now I'm cleaning up a T16 head to install on my 82 as well the APC and intercooler. I'm going to fuel it with the 8 valve fuel and air set up. Someone else posted this mod here and it looked fun. It'll be interesting to see the spool up difference and how much boost it can handle.

·
Registered
834 Posts
FYI - In Australia we never got the APC until the 16 valve engine came out in 1985 down here. The 1985 model year was THE first year in Australia for APC.

Also no LPT in Australia (Mike) in c900 guise. It will be a 1982 8V that will run 7 to 9psi in stock form.

sab

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks heaps for all the info just one last question how do i turn the psi up on the turbo? (prob been answerd heps of times)

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
There's no adjustment on the turbo. I'm not sure that non-APC car would run base boost, but if it did, you'd adjust the wastegate until base boost was about 50% of your max boost.

You can raise the threshhold of boost by working to control knock with a larger intercooler, waterinjection, chargecooling, etc...

Also want to make sure that the engine is in proper working order with correct timing, etc...

With proper fueling and timing it is possible to run higher than stock boost pressures. (Fuel chip, larger injectors... ) I was running a stock T3 @ 26 psi and because I have the corrisponding mods. my car was much less likely to experience knock and lean conditions. It should be noted that anything over 18 psi or so is way out of the efficiency range for a T3. I'm back down to 18 psi right now... bigger turbo with more flow in my near future.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as i am new to turbo is there any step by step with pics(lol) on how 2 ajust the wastegate?? or any web pages that show me pls

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
sab aero said:
FYI - In Australia we never got the APC until the 16 valve engine came out in 1985 down here. The 1985 model year was THE first year in Australia for APC.

Also no LPT in Australia (Mike) in c900 guise. It will be a 1982 8V that will run 7 to 9psi in stock form.

sab
Damn, I was sure my old '84 8v had APC -- in fact I clearly remember disconnecting it to have some fun:cheesy:

·
Registered
834 Posts
SpecialTool said:
Damn, I was sure my old '84 8v had APC -- in fact I clearly remember disconnecting it to have some fun:cheesy:
You sure you don't mean you disconnected the wastegate line to get more boost? As I am 99% sure that no 8V turbo 900s in Australia had the APC box and solenoid. The first APC was found in 1985 in the 16V here. :)

cheers
sab

·
Registered
834 Posts
sanctity said:
Timing Chain Tensioner ;oops: looked on this forum but cant find it on my 1982 900 turbo help pls
I suggest you get a manual and havea thorough read... I think the Robert Bentley manual was available for 8V (I know I have the 16V edition)... or I think haynes had an 8V edition too.

Any good techincal bookshop should be able to get it in for you, or check any of the sponsors here.

Tech manuals are good to have on hand.

Also look at joing the Saab Club here... good bunch of people and good breadth of tech knowledge. saabclub.org.au is the url.

HTH
sab

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
sorry to make this string go on for ever but at closer look at saab its made date is 12/82 if that helps and on left hand side near headlight is a cooler but its for the oil do all have oil coolers? no intercooler found and if it has apc where would it be???. aslo cant find the timing chain tensioner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts