SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 9-3 aero just started shaking only when the turbo reaches its mid to upper range and the engine light came on. It only has 67K miles. Could it be that the turbo is going out?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Unlikely, more likely a (cheaper) problem with your MAF sensor. Do a search for MAF sensor on here.

If it is this, they can be cleaned or replaced. Around the US$90-$100 mark.

Or, you might have a leak in your vacuum line somewhere or at some point between the MAF and the intake manifold...

Our engine management is based on Mass Air Flow, so if air is escaping or entering somewhere it shouldn't, the air being 'consumed' by the engine won't match the MAF readings from the sensor, and you'll get the dreaded CEL.

Best thing to do is probably take it to a shop that can read your DTC's (trouble codes) that are generated when the CEL comes on, so that you can narrow the problem down. If that's not a possibility right now, check over all of your vacuum lines and intake connections to ensure they're all securely connected and there are no cracks or leaks anywhere.

Is your air filter stock?

·
Banned
631 Posts
driggsaero said:
My 04 9-3 aero just started shaking only when the turbo reaches its mid to upper range and the engine light came on. It only has 67K miles. Could it be that the turbo is going out?

what is the code? its useless without telling us. And i agree with the previous post. I highly doubt its the turbo. Normally is the turbo is shot it blows smoke, lack of power. Get the code and come back for more information.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Most likely basic ignition problem. Bad plug, coil pack, or something like that.
You need to get a Tech II to diagnose accurately.

And Autozone can't even plug into our CAN interface let alone pull codes so that is out--to the dealer or whoever has a Tech II.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts