SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my journey last night, i was using the boost as required, and i noticed a problem with boost on certain occassions.
So i went out today to try and trace this problem.

Turbo boost gauge is always fully boosting, and turbo seems fine if revs are higher.
But if im at 2000 rpm in 5th then floor it, there is a strange pinking vibrating noise with little boost until the revs get up to around 2500.

So the problem seems to be whjen the engine is under full load conditions as in low revs in 5th gear and boosting then there is a boost problem along with the strange noise.
Going up a hill in lower gears seems ok, its just in the higher gears at low revs that this problem occurs.

I now have 3 questions to put forth :)

1. Is this the first sign that the di cartridge is about to fail ? and i should get one asap ?

2. About ten thousand miles ago, i was taking a right hand turn in second gear when the engine suddenly cut-out. Once i had free rolled to a hault, it restarted ok and i never had this problem again, but i was wondering if that one-off cut-out problem and this boost problem could be a cam sensor problem ?

3. Any other suggestions welcome ?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I'd say that does point to DI or plugs personally :confused:

When were the plugs last changed?

The in dash gauge wont help cos the aero's in dash gauge is a computer assisted display rather than an actual display of boost :cry:

Or...............a bad tank of fuel :confused:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
this sounds like afuel issue if it happened on a turn.... not the di cassette... i would check the gap on your plugs as well...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
ricot83 said:
this sounds like afuel issue if it happened on a turn.... not the di cassette... i would check the gap on your plugs as well...
That incident was 10,000 miles ago so I dont think its related :confused:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im sure the fuel is good, only use shell optimax.

i recently cleaned the maf with that ppolywoly spray stuff , hope nothing disturbed there :eek:

my plugs were done about 17000 miles ago , so i can take them out tomorrow and check the gaps.

I still think its a di job but i hope its only plug prob

G

·
Thedriver said:
my plugs were done about 17000 miles ago , so i can take them out tomorrow and check the gaps.
17,000 miles :eek: Go on go mad buy some new plugs they are really cheap. I change plugs oil and filter every 6000 miles or less.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear what your saying on these plug prices - my sort of price.

But i have the platinum NGK PFR6H-10 plugs in mine which are much more expense but also go for much longer hence the 17000 miles not really being an issue.

But i would be very happy to use these cheaper plugs and change them more regularly - every 6000 miles you say.

R they ok for the aero ?

My total concern is that i do not lose even o.oooooooooooooo1% of power or fuel econ ;)

G

·
Thedriver said:
R they ok for the aero ?
I have always used plat plugs until recently. I have now changed to copper without any noticable difference accept price. Both Chris and I drive on the copper and our cars are a higher spec than the standard aero. For the money they cost why dont you try a set and see for yourself.:D

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
all hte 9-3 guys swear by these plugs.. well accept for a select few lol.... the platinum plugs offer no real improvement accept the gap stays the same for a couple thousand miles more.. what i suggest is that u guys check the gap each oil change i tend to just change the plugs every 5-8,000 miles nad check the gap once or twice in between

·
Registered
302 Posts
my dad had the same problem with his 2000 aero (had about 65k miles on it when it happened) and the problem began to occur more and more frequently (the part where the engine cuts out) until he replaced the crank shaft position sensor, i think it's called.

if the spark plugs don't work maybe you could look into this, i think he spent like $80 or something for parts/installation.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This sounds a bit similar to my Aero which lost power last week. It still drove and the boost gauge still moved but there was no boost, which was a bit worrying to say the least (and no fun:( ).

I went to see my local Independant who took it for a drive and checked the misfire counts using Tech II. Cylinders 2 & 3 were at a couple of thousand but 1 & 4 were around 15000 and a failing DI was diagnosed.

A new one was fitted and normal service was resumed :D - phew!

The only symptoms I had prior to this (all in the last month) were a couple of unexplained misfires on the motorway, which felt like when you are about to run out of fuel, and also I had a momentary loss of power and temporary flashing CEL during some enthusiastic acceleration down a local dual-carriageway, but no fault code stored.

The date code on failing DI showed that it was the original and was just over 4 years old with 107k miles on it, so I guess it hadn't done bad.

dan_aero

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I installed my new platinum plugs today and a new air filter. They had all done 18000 miles :)

My good news is that my problem has vanished , and the car is going like a rocket sounding perfect at any revs in any gears:D

The old platinum plugs still looked in exceptional condition apart from the beautiful colouring of a perfectly burning motor. But there was a subtle little scale build up which resulted in REDUCING the gaps to around 0.9mm area. I could not bring myself to bin them as yet and stuck them in the boot.
The old air filter looked very dirty and this is probably because there is a building site close to me which seems to kik up a heell of a dust always leaving a film off dust on the car, and a little gets under the bonnet .

Im tempted to think that the air filter was past its "full air flow state" and this was causing my problem.
I dont think the slightly reduced plug gap would create this problem ?

Either way, one of these items was the culprit and any comments to confirm which one would be good , backed up by a reason off course ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thedriver said:
My good news is that my problem has vanished , and the car is going like a rocket sounding perfect at any revs in any gears:D ;)
Excellent news ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts