SaabCentral Forums banner

Turbo Opinions...

876 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MSOEMiller 
#1 ·
So I've just received a quote for a new turbo and installation from the dealership for $1600 Canadian. I'm not too sure but I believe that is steep. My 86 SPG (175 km) runs great but the turbo is shot (lots of smoke). I would just like some opinions on what my best option is and the expected cost.

Thanks to all who reply

Jamie

#7 ·
i would think a turbo if a faily easy DIY. woth replacing the water and oil lines as they are prob clogged. the $500usd plus another $50-100 for gaskets and water/oil lines sounds reasonable, install it myself in an afternoon, possibly with the help of a freind. anybody doen it before, oh and i have heard stories of people who drive with smoking turbos for a long time! mine smokes very very rarely, more so after a long long idle still gets full boost and all and i'm pritty sure the car did it after i got it, well that was 12,000kms ago, hasn't gotten wrose.:cool: -now that i said it watch it go BANG today:cry:

(also i have yet to add any coolant (still full) and i got the full 5000-7000kms between oil changed and i go from the max to the min in that time (how i know to change the oil) so that consumption seems very low, so the turbo must not be that bad i guess:cool:

#8 ·
Usaull stuff that makes Saab dealers into Laughing stock.and largely Unprofitable. they sure don't do V well in New car sales :)
Try a Truck repair place.. they do Turbos all day long and Garrets are V common units..Truckers generally don't waste any of their hard earned $$.. you might even get it Patched for a couple or 3 Hundred (cdn :)

#9 ·
The '86 will not have water lines for the turbocharger. Make sure to get the right replacement model. I wouldn't hesitate to put a used turbo on mine, but I only drive my Saab about 3000 miles per year. I think that a used turbo would be a reasonable way to keep the car on the road for minimum dollars. $100-200 maybe for the turbo, DIY install with some new gaskets, etc. and you're in business.

So what if you have to do it again in two or three years? You're still ahead on money with the used one twice vs. even the rebuilt!

#10 ·
eggsngrits said:
I think that a used turbo would be a reasonable way to keep the car on the road for minimum dollars. $100-200 maybe for the turbo,
I helped out with a turbo swap on an '85. We got the donor turbo from a junk yard for $75 USD. YES, $75. I think that's about $100 Canadian. Installation cost was 2 beers. The replacement worked fine.

Just check the turbo before you pull it from the donor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.