SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

'98 SAAB 9000 CSE stick; 144k miles.

Just recently the turbo needle and turbo itself won't go past the "green" area on the turbo gauge when I give it some gas. No "check engine" light or anything.

Additionally, the door courtesy lights are very dim and my alarm won't set when I use my key fob. The lights will blink, but the doors won't lock/unlock and there is no beep from my horn. All other electronics/lights work just fine.

Are these two problems related to one source?

Recent maintenance has included a battery (one year old), 1700 miles on synthetic oil change, spark plugs just under a year old, new radiator, etc. Not really sure what the problem could be.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Conrad
[email protected]

·
Registered
953 Posts
If the gauge otherwise works and you don't hear unusual sounds, most likely the wastegate actuator arm has popped off.

If you hear the rushing of air under load, it's possible something has been blown from the intake piping.

The keyfob's connection to the battery can become unreliable over time due to corrosion or lint. If the fob's power supply is interrupted, you may have to push the button five times or so before it will work again.

The courtesy light issue may be grounds or aging bulbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
H Twinsen,

figured out the locking/courtesy lights/alarm issue. Fuse. :p

Couldn't find an image of the actuator arm in the HANES manual for the 9000 but I did find one of the underside of the actuator rod and other components on saab9000.com.

hopefully, I can get the car raised soon and take a look at it with my friend.

The turbo does not make a "swooshing" sound and no other sounds are heard. From what I can feel, it's like the engine is only performing the work with no help from the turbo.

Thanks again,

Conrad

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you've got smaller hands, you can feel around the exhaust manifold for the arm and re-fit it without raising the car.

·
Registered
410 Posts
turbo

hi. does the car accelerate normally? if the turbo actuator rod is connected and the wastegate is working ok - not locked closed or open. then have the turbo itself checked to ensure it is boosting. sometimes the nut holding the vanes onto the shaft comes loose and so no boost.can give your cars symptoms.good luck. love that car. cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the help. Turns out, it was the actuator arm! My friend (who's a bit more handy with cars) and I were able to squeeze are claws in and re-attach the actuator.

The turbo spools up, gives off that "wooshing" sound. But most importantly, I'm able to accelerate like before.

Thanks again,

Conrad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on actuator arm issue.

I have no problem re-attaching it. But herein lies the issue.

I find myself doing it frequently. It seems to disconnect frequently when I am taking a corner and am accelerating. Is there a component that is part of the actuator arm that holds it together that may have fallen off?

thank you,

Conrad

·
Registered
658 Posts
use the cotter pin..there is a small hole it might be filled with the old retainer pin you'll have to work that old piece out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts