SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that I've contemplated converting one of my 8V n/a cars to a turbo car by adding the spare rebuilt turbo left over from when I had my 83 turbo car running.

Anyway, I was wondering about adding it to the engine of my 16V n/a car instead. That particular car is an 89 build-year car with LH 2.4 fuel injection and EZK for ignition timing control.

How feasible is it to simply replace the exhaust manifold, etc. to adapt with the turbo, add the required oil feed and drain hoses, and replace the stock distributor with the version used on turbo 16V engines?

I can see one issue straight away which is that the engine has the ignition sensor on the crankshaft rather that in the distributor.

Has anyone done this sort of mod WITHOUT replacing any of the Bosch electronics for fuel or ignition control? Will the stock LH 2.4 system be ok when a turbo is added? I'm sure the EZK will handle is since it does automagic knock detection, and should (theoretically) compensate for what the turbo does (within limits).

I don't expect that I'd get a lot from the turbo (perhaps 5 to maybe 10 psi at the most), but I'm sure plenty of you can offer advice on what will/won't need changing besides the obvious things on the intake/exhaust sides of the engine related to piping, etc. It would also give me the opportunity to install an intercooler at the same time.

So tell me if you think this is something that's doable, and what complications could you forsee happening as a result?

Craig.

PS. I suppose that eventually I could look to go the Megasquirt route but I don't want to jump through too many hoops at once. :cool:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
c900 said:
How feasible is it to simply replace the exhaust manifold, etc. to adapt with the turbo, add the required oil feed and drain hoses, and replace the stock distributor with the version used on turbo 16V engines?
Did you see the sticky?
c900 said:
I can see one issue straight away which is that the engine has the ignition sensor on the crankshaft rather that in the distributor.
Only a problem if you want to run more than, say, 5-6 psi.
c900 said:
Has anyone done this sort of mod WITHOUT replacing any of the Bosch electronics for fuel or ignition control? Will the stock LH 2.4 system be ok when a turbo is added? I'm sure the EZK will handle is since it does automagic knock detection, and should (theoretically) compensate for what the turbo does (within limits).
I ran my converted car with a non-turbo ECU for a little while. However, datalogging with a wideband O2 sensor revealed that the ECU cannot adequately fuel the engine under stock 900T boost. I would not run a non-turbo ECU or EZK without boost retard at >5psi, but that's just me.

The EZK is trying to advance timing when you need retard under boost. See the sticky.
c900 said:
I don't expect that I'd get a lot from the turbo (perhaps 5 to maybe 10 psi at the most), but I'm sure plenty of you can offer advice on what will/won't need changing besides the obvious things on the intake/exhaust sides of the engine related to piping, etc. It would also give me the opportunity to install an intercooler at the same time.

So tell me if you think this is something that's doable, and what complications could you forsee happening as a result?
There's a big difference between 5 and 10 psi. Just 5? Not so hard. More than 5? You want to ensure fuel/spark are appropriate. See the sticky.

·
Registered
315 Posts
c900, visit my website and that should answer alot of your questions. I did exactly what you want to do on my '89 900 sport, except I had a 2.1L in there instead of the original 2.0L. The engine went good for 4 years and had a hard life, being overheated several times, which wore the piston rings severely causing alot of blow by. The 2.1L finally blew a headgasket this summer after 4 years of seeing 18 psi daily and sometimes over 20 psi. To my surprise I found that the headgasket didn't blow out from excessive cylinder pressures instead it was due to corrosion. I also discovered that the headgasket had been done once on that engine and someone used the 2.0L headgasket instead of the 2.1L. This meant that the gasket was hanging into the cylinder bores so the metal ring wasn't really touching the surface of the block or the head. I'm surprised it lasted that long with the wrong gasket. I also just finished turboing my friends car this summer which is a '90 900 sport. He is a member on the forum here too, his name is Evan D. Maybe he'll post some pics of his set-up. Anyway its doable, but as gorper said you must change the computer to a turbo ECU if going over 5 psi. When we had Evan's car on the dyno it was only 13.5:1 AFR at only 4.5 psi of boost. Evan is planning on putting a Jak Stoll stg 2 chip in his car to provide more fuel.

·
Registered
326 Posts
On this thread there are some pics of my setup.
http://saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107732

It would be a good idea to only run 5psi as said before. I was running 7-8 and it knocks quite a bit in 4th gear at high rpms, most likely im leaning out too much and timing could be an issue too. Definetly need some bigger injectors, at least turbo injectors from a turbo 900. But ya its a pretty easy setup, its all bolt on and took only a weekend to do. I'd go for a front mount intercooler right away. There not very hard to do and I got mine for $140CND on ebay theres usually alot on there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Okay so I have a 92 2.1 NA. with LH 2.4.2 which is suposidly not compatible with a turbo APC with LH 2.4.

And they never made a Turbo LH 2.4.2.

What would such a conversion invlove swapping of a car that has 2.4? This donor car would have to be a 2.4 EZK car correct?

Has anyone on here ran a turbo APC in a 2.1 while retaining EZK?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts