SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
A while back I picked up a 1999 Saab 9-3 with a blown turbo. I took it upon myself to swap it for a new OEM one, and it’s been smooth sailing since October.

This past week though, I noticed a pretty loud clicking sound coming from around the turbo, and the smell of exhaust. There was a noticeable oil leak from beneath the car as well. I finally got around to getting under the car, and found that one of the (triplestar head?) bolts holding the oil return hose to the turbo was missing. It must have shook itself free. They’re a pain in the *** to reach with my large hands, so I probably didn’t tighten them enough way back when.

I’ve been looking around trying to find the bolt, without much success. Does anyone know where I could find them, or the specs on the bolt (thread, pitch, length)? Are there any reliable aftermarket choices?

I’m also curious about the potential damage a loose oil return can do to the drivetrain. I’ve been checking the oil level, and it was still in a safe range. Would it have an adverse effect on oil pressure, and how damaging can that be?

Best regards, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Pretty sure they are M8 x 1.5 but don't quote me on that. Should be just standard flanged hex cap bolts. No reason for a fancy fastener there.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
They're M6x1.0. I always take them off with a 10mm socket on my 1/4" ratchet. I typically replace them with stainless bolts with a washer, but the originals are flange heads with a standard hex head. Saab never used triple square bolts on these cars, and the only E-Torx bolts are inside the engine on the OG9-3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The return line leaking shouldn't have any detrimental effect on your engine provided, as you said, your oil level didn't get critically low.
It wouldn't hurt to use a little medium strength threadlocker on the replacement bolt, and be sure the gasket on the return flange survived the ordeal in decent shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts