SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 1999 9-3 T5.

Today on the way home I noticed there was no sound coming from my blow off valve. I figured something was stuck in there and causing it to be muffled but when I got home I took a look and everything was fine. This had me worried so I went up and down the street a few times to see if my turbo was still operational and everything seemed fine. My boost gauge appears normal and I can hear the turbo spooling up when I go up the steep hill I live on.

Once I was home again I popped the hood and revved the car up a few times via the throttle body and put my hand at the BOV to see if anything was coming out and nothing! I checked all the hoses and lines and everything appears to be hooked up.

I'm not very familiar with turbo's and I'm a little concerned, anybody got any ideas as to whats going on here? Like I said the boost gauge seems normal and you can still feel the turbo when it spools up and even hear it when you listen close, its just not "exhaling".

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do you have a blow off valve, or a bypass valve?

For either one to open, your car has to be pulling above a certain level of vacuum. Check the vacuum line from the throttle body to the valve.

It may also be that the valve is shot. You should not be able to blow / suck air from the vacuum connection of the valve.

Good luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
^ true

when you say the boost gauge is normal, do you mean you're making boost?

check and make sure all the pipes are tightened.

doesnt sound like your turbo took a dump - incase you're wondering

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I solved it. I overlooked what I believe is the vacuum line.

To clear things up, yes I meant that I was still making boost by "the gauge seemed fine".

The small line (fractional ID/OD) that runs from the valve to the throttle body was cracked, thus the lack of "WOOSH" noise.

Now onto the other turbo noob question, it doesn't seemed like it damaged anything, but just to cover my ***, is it possible anything was affected by the temporary lack of vacuum?

·
Registered
727 Posts
A functioning BPV or BOV will extend turbo life, but not having it connected for a few weeks shouldn't cause any significant problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts