SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Saabers.

This is my first time posting but a veteran saab mechanic/enthusiast and now on my 3rd saab, 2004 9-3 Aero 2.0T,

The only mod i have on the car is a carbon intake with MAF, an abbott ECU ( apparently ) and horrid wheels :cry: ( only owned for a week )

Right let the puzzle begin!

I have bought a 9-3 Aero and it is really sweet a steal if i dont mind saying so, (never as good as my 96 9k stage 5 but good enuf)

the guy i bought it from said that the turbo has " gone mate! " ok i said and bought the car under the impression that i would just put a new turbo on it.

but on the 200 mile drive back i spent the whole time wondering if this guy was just a complete baffoon. i honestly cant see a problem???? the turbo boosts to the red and it does shift and goes to the red line??? WTF ??

so i asked the guy what happened for him to think it needs a new turbo..... " i was driving, wheels spun, traction control came on then had no boost and now turbo is louder than b4. "

my instant reaction was boost pipe as i found out in my 9k after going to 3" intercooler and pipping, as im sure your aware of the hoses popping off with out mikalors and a bead.

now i kno Trionic 8 enough to understand that the TC will drop boost cos it has lost traction right but i cant understand why this guy is saying it needs a new turbo, it sounds fine and works fine as far as im concerned.

also if there was an issue then surly the mighty trionic 8 would have somthing to say about it as it has more sensors than NASA.

i have a lot of education with turbos and perfomance and saabs in general but this has stumpped me.

my problem is, i dont want to go yipeeee and get complacent and do damage but i just cant understand this guy.

so if you please, your knoledge and experiance would be very helpfull

also i have access to saab parts and i have a good amount of knoledge of saabs deff trionic 5 if i can be a service to any members :p

kind regards
Adam

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Welcome Adam! I'm no turbo expert, but my first impression is that you're right. If it boosts ok and there are no CEL's and no horrible smoke then what could be wrong? I agree with your theory about him just getting freaked out when the tcs kicked in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou very much JMarkert.

thats the thing, the tyres were bald like seriously, it has been wet for the last few months and he lives in newcastle and i from good old slough :(, there is no smoke, no warnings up, no hesetation nothing, i have taken one of my mechanics out in it and he just laughed and said i had a one in a million lol. so im thinking a full service and then crack a beer and a yipeeee lol.

i cant think of anything else, its not like trionic 5 or 7 where you have to do a lot of the fault finding. if anything to do with the airflow on trionic 8 is not perfect then EML on strait away

·
Registered
941 Posts
I know when my stability control kicks in the car almost feels like its in limp mode til I get her straightened out and level again. I gotta wonder if maybe he hit stability control, felt this, and got paranoid/thought something let loose?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts