SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all,

I have a question for all the people that understand the 9000 turbo( 1896). My car is fairly old and has 207K on engine. I was checking out my turbo because it was not properly boosting through the gears. Under full throttle in second, my car gets to 3500 rpms and then sort of lags and lunges/surges however it likes. If i keep it boosted i hear a LOUD snap. Very concerning... I took a look at my turbo and saw some residue was baked onto my exhaust pipe :(. I am fairly sure my turbo is leaking...

also i was wondering which type of turbo my year is.

What should i do?
Thanks for the help and checking this out!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
um i do not think it is fuel as much as the turbo is cutting out. I am kind of sure that the gasket is busted on the exhaust side. But i still do not know what would cause that snapping!

I might have to delete turbo and have a nice looking SLOW car...such a shame.

Let me know if you can shed any light on this.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Broken studs on the exhaust manifold are very common and a standard fix is to helicoil replacements into the head. Use only high strength studs or you will be wasting your money. the dealers sell them. Beware of any studs that do not seem outrageously expensive.

If your gasket is leaking under exhaust back pressure the snapping sound you hear is the compression event releasing from the exhaust valve opening and blowing the gasket gap open with the pressure. At low boost pressure the gasket may be holding.

The fix is simple for a skilled mechanic but expensive. The heli coiling is not for the faint of heart especially if done without actually removing the turbo from the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input. However, is it necessary to repair the exhaust manifold? would that be the sourse of my turbo lag?

Also my mechanic said i should order a rebuild kit or my turbo, but i was thinking if it is only a gasket to take it off and use one of those "gasket products" where you scrape off the old one and essentially glue the two pieces together, making a nice gasket. Wondering if this is a cost effective way to not break the bank (car is only worth 600 bucks!) and to fix SOME turbo surge.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is it leaking at the exhaust manifold or the turbo flange?

When you first said leak, I thought you meant from the cold side.

Unless a product is designed to work on/for exhaust gaskets, it will probably burn away due to the heat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey all.

Source was "worn" spark plugs( replace not too long ago) and a copper piece where the spar arks on my distributor cap being broken off. After the cheap part and a lot of money wasted on diagnostic crap my saab runs great. Always check the stupid distributor cap!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts