SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently had a engine swap done on my car, and I noticed a oil leak. (2007 Saab 9-3 Turbo)

The mechanic that did the swap said it looked like it was leaking from one of the gaskets on the turbo (It was leaking from that area).

He just re tightened the bolts temporary and he said to try that for now.

Well it seems to have gotten worse.

Is this a hard repair to do yourself? The mechanic said it was best to have a lift and go from underneath. He didn't sound real enthused to do it himself, so I assume it's not an easy deal. How long of a job would this normally take?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The gaskets on the turbo are super cheap. Taking out and in the turbo is not that hard to do. Most propably your mechanic is bored to do it. Not to mention that if he did the swap is totally his responsibility that you have an oil leak. I would strongly suggest you to change mechanic

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea... He seemed rather bothered by the car. Like it was a real pain to deal with and he was just happy to get rid of it.
He mentioned that he didn't have the gaskets to repair it at the time, so he just tightened the bolts and told me just to try it out for awhile to see if it still leaked... and it does.
He had a hundred other jobs to work on and seemed to want to move on from it.
I got the idea Saabs aren't his thing.

This is why I am tempted to try to fix the leak myself... depending of the difficulty of the job. I think it's just a oil inlet tube that attaches to the turbo... from under the car of course.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There are 4 hard lines on the turbo - 2 oil lines and 2 coolant lines. Maybe all you need are new copper washers on the banjo bolts or maybe it's the oil pipe that drains from the bottom of the turbo into the block of the engine that requires a gasket between the turbo and the oil line and an o-ring where the line plugs into the engine block. Or maybe it's a combination of both. You'll have to get under the car and determine where the leak is coming from.

Not sure if I've got your engine right, but take a look at this diagram for reference. https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts.php?searchpart=1&section=51367251 See #s 3, 6 and 5.

Not too hard of job if you know what you're doing. It just takes time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is an awesome diagram! Thank You! I think it's the #3 Gasket that is leaking. I guess I'm just not looking forward to crawling under a 3500lbs car.
gotta do what I gotta do I guess.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts