SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my mech.is changing my turbo and there was alot of oil, like pouring out of the intercooler when he took it apart.he wants to take the intercooler off and clean it out.i know thats a fair amount of work.i said i didn't think it needs it but hes the mech.i think its going to be 2 days before i get the new turbo i was thinking by then it should be drained out of the intercooler,maybe even blow it out with air.what do you guys think/the car just passed emissions test 30 days ago great #'s,and the oil that came out was very clean not burnt.i have a feeling his shops a bit slow and hes looking for more work any opinions? thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A good mechanic will find other work on a customers car - its his livelihood, and he does wish to do a job correctly - to prevent comebacks....

The intercooler should be clean, as possible, IMO.
The question is , can the unit be properly cleaned in place ??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah don't know what to think how clean is clean,and you right earthworm he doesn't want me to comeback complaining,although thats not my style i am sure he sees all kinds.i was thinking its not that much work taking the bumper off if he knows what he doing.then i'm thinking i should replace that long p.s line under the cover?didn't really want to get into that.i really got to get a garage i hate taking my car to mechs but i'm not working in the driveway in jan.anyone else got a opinion thanks

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
All he needs to do is emtpy a can of carb cleaner into one end and let it drain out the other end. Maybe shake it inbetween.

The intake pipe and throttle body should be cleaned too. Oil can somehow rob octane.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was working on a gentlemans 93 rx7 and found it's intercooler full of oil due to blown twins. The car would hardly stay running. The engine was ingesting too much oil and not enough air. Suffocation seems an appropriate way to describe it.
The intercooler was removed and cleaned thoroughly and the turbos were swapped. All was well :)

I've heard it's common practice to clean intercoolers with kerosene.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts