SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GS has two: 1. SS one for $310 and 2. King cobra

Looks like the KC is an exchange kit, while the SS one is a direct bolt on?

Is the SS one easier to install than the KC?

j006 you mention something about the intake pipe...can you explain more?

·
Registered
525 Posts
SS is a 15 minute install. The King Cobra kit requires you to remove the turbo from the car. The King Cobra flows better though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can buy the SS intake pipe at Genuine saab. I think I may return the dp and do that. I think removing the turbo is quite involved.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Ok I am officially confused:

DP = Noticable improvements - no need to move/disturb the turbo

SS / Aero Cobra Pipe = betcha cant even tell any difference - no need to move / disturb turbo

King Cobra = As above but turbo has to be worked upon

So why return the DP?

·
Registered
276 Posts
For the King Cobra, aka 2006+ 9-5 Cobra Pipe, you must machine down the neck of the compresor housing by 15mm of your TD04HL-15 Turbo. GS offers this machining....I contracted Nick for this work when I put the KC in my Viggen and now he offers it as a product. Pics below show you the KC vs normal Cobra and then the housing work:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/862000-862999/862755_98_full.jpg

Full Set of Pics (including install) here--> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/862755/6

·
Registered
69 Posts
I noticed you have listed an 02 and an 03 9-5. Which one are you planning to do this to? I installed the GS SS intake pipe on my 02 and had to remove one of the WG bracket bolts on the turbine housing in order for it to fit. Nick at GS said this was due to the turbo being clocked differently on my particular model year. Just something to keep in mind,
TOM

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris: This is based on my previous post. I want the dp, but it doesnt fit my '02 Aero, so I have to return it.

jperk, on my '02 9-5 Aero what turbo intake pipe would I have? Is it quite restrictive compared to the one sold at GS for $310. I imagine in order to put the KC it will take quite a bit of worK?

Tom: I plan to put it on my '02 Aero, so I may have to do the same like you? Do you think its a good upgrade? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Can someone post the exact link for the GS pipe? Thanks... I am looking to convert my lpt to an aero..I am hoping to just buy a TD04..can I get one for any year even though I have the a 2000 model....and if I wanted to install the KC would I have to do the modification. and I am also looking for a downpipe something that not too expensive I was looking to have it custom done..but I am still open to suggestion.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SaabBlackMan said:
Can someone post the exact link for the GS pipe? Thanks... .
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=170

This is bigger than Aero spec and you dont need it......but hey its Christmas!

Visse said:
Chris: This is based on my previous post. I want the dp, but it doesnt fit my '02 Aero, so I have to return it.
Ah ha............gotcha ;)

Why doesnt it fit? :confused:

Ooops found it:

Visse said:
Turned out to be a flop! Yes the gs dp...the mechanic spent 2 hrs or so, taking the old exhaust out and then informs me that the new dp will not fit my car. He even spoke to Nick and sent him pictures...the auto tranny is in the way! He cant get it in.

Nick thinks the '02 auto tranny could block and was quite surprised too. What do you guys think? I may now go only for a catback.

Anyways, FYI, the dp does not fit the auto tranny on the aero.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think it is a worthwile upgrade if you are going get upgraded HW, if not, pretty much a waste of money.

Has anyone been able to fit a 3in DP on the 02 auto? Is it just an issue with the GS one or is there not enough room?
TOM

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
tommyjr said:
I think it is a worthwile upgrade if you are going get upgraded HW, if not, pretty much a waste of money. TOM
HW? :confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Visse said:
jperk, on my '02 9-5 Aero what turbo intake pipe would I have? Is it quite restrictive compared to the one sold at GS for $310. I imagine in order to put the KC it will take quite a bit of worK?
You have the one on the right in the pic below....the one of the left is obviously the KC from the '06+ 9-5s.

Installing the KC was a bit of work, nothing difficult, just time consuming...but its the best performing cobra pipe you can get, so time well invested. It was the first time I ever pulled a tubro, it wasn't as bad as I thought.

From a previous post of my on SC, here are the needed steps:

You actually have to remove both the exhaust and intake housings. You must remove the exhaust housing first to be able to get to the 3+" snap ring holding the compressor housing in. The exhaust housing is easy to take off, just removed the clamp and then a couple whacks with a rubber mallot and it comes apart. The intake housing is easy as well, however you need a snap ring tool capable to taking off a 3+" snap ring. I purchased a Snap-On Tools snap ring plier for $24 shipped:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...-store&tool=all

Steps required:
1. Drain coolant
2. Drain oil and remove oil filter.
3. Remove old cobra pipe
4. Remove downpipe (don't forget to unplug the O2 sensors!)
5. Remove the oil hard line from turbo*
6. Remove both coolant hard lines from Turbo*. Don't get freaked out by the banjo bolt going into the waterpump....it will come out with a slight wiggle.
7. Remove the oil drain neck from the turbo (2 bolts)
8. Remove the turbo from the exhaust manifold
9. Remove exhaust housing from Turbo (see above)
10. Remove snap ring holding compressor housing on (WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!) and seperate the housing.

* with the limited room to get those banjo bolts on the hard lines out, I suggest getting a 12mm thin & stubby/shorty open end wrench. I picked up this one from Napa which worked very well:
http://www.napaonline.com/NOLViewer...9024&ShowPics=1

(this guy would work as well: http://www.napaonline.com/NOLViewer...6615&ShowPics=1)

To make the install complete you will need:
1. New Turbo to exhaust manifold gasket
2. New rubber seal (black) from KC outlet to Turbo inlet.
3. New rubber seal (teal) for the dump valve air inlet to the KC
4. All new copper washers for all banjo bolts. I suggest getting these from GS as they are 1/10th the price as getting them from saab.
5. New exhaust lock nuts for the DP and turbo-to-exhaust manifold. I used very nice VW copper exhaust lock nuts (VW Part #: N-902-002-01), At only $1.50 each from VW, they are 1/5th the price as getting from Saab and much nicer as you will see. You will need 7 of these. If you end up needing new Studs, you can use VW part number N-044-411-5 (M8x1.25x35), again 1/5th the price than getting from Saab.
6. 1 new oil filter, 1 drain plug washer, and new oil
7. 1 gallon of Saab coolant and 1 gallon of distilled water.
8. New oil drain neck-to-Turbo gasket (Saab Part #: 90-490-305 - $2.19)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jperk: When I follow your procedure, do I have to ship the compressor hsng to Nick and wait for several days for it to be modified? or can I have a new modified one beforehand so there is no waiting?

·
Registered
276 Posts
You have a couple options here:

(1) As stated on the GS site, http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=471, Nick will send you a machined housing with a $180 core charge and then you send yours back to get the $180 back.
(2) Send you whole turbo to GS, though call Nick first. He will take apart and reassemble the tubro for you with the new housing.
(3) purchase a used Saab TD04HL-15T Turbo and use that housing from that to send into Nick to be machined.

I did #3....got a used turbo from ebay for $120.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
thread revival... and this is a great thread!

I've got an 18t being built and since there's machining happening anyway on the compressor housing, we decided to make it ready for the new/better cobra pipe.

Definitely looking forward to doing all of this work. Your writeup on the whole procedure and sourcing the lock nuts and exhaust studs is also great. I pass a VW dealer everyday on the way to work, hopefully they've still got these readily available.

Only question now is... will Nick sell me just the pipe?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My turbo builder talked to Nick today and it is that simple, the CH just needs to be trimmed back 15mm to make room for the larger intake pipe.

I also heard back from GS and they are willing to sell just the 06+ king cobra pipe for $130. All and all this should work out great for me. Seems like for the money this could be a great upgrade. I'll be posting more, probably just as a complete build thread on its own.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was surprised to see this thread! Yes at that time I had an 02 Aero, now a 07, which already has the king cobra, a definite upgrade over the 02 especially with an open filter (I have the AEM dry flow). I have mass flow numbers with stock air box and with AEM. Up more than 2lb/min! You will be very pleased with the KC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts