SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 9-5

Got the old turbo out, but putting the new one in... UGH! The oil return doesn't want to go back into the oil pan. The intake pipe won't go past the pipes and the turbo so I can attach it. WIS just says to "fit the turbo". Thanks. So helpful.

I'm seriously considering removing the radiator and power steering pump and installing the turbo and exhaust manifold together. But there's gotta be something I'm missing? I watched a bunch of YT videos and it looks like they just slap it together. Though a couple edit out the parts where they're struggling, so I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one...

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
it's damned near impossible to get that return line into the block with the turbo mounted. The metal one I would say IS IMPOSSIBLE, but maybe you can do it. what you really need to do is mount it to the bottom of the turbo and install it into the block while you're putting the turbo in place.

as for the top, the best thing you can do is either take all of the studs out of the head or all of the studs out of the top of the turbo. That makes sliding the exhaust manifold into place much easier. Then put the support bracket on the bottom of the turbo since you'll need a little wiggle room to get everything in place.

Last time I did this I was really tempted to replace the studs in the turbo-manifold joint with bolts so that they'd come out easy the next time. I'd seriously think of doing that if I were you

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I did manage to get the return line in. Pulled the turbo down off the mainfold, shoved it forward and tilted it to get the line started. Then it popped into place when I got the turbo back up on the manifold. PITA.

Now I can't get the @!#$%@# intake pipe into place. It hits pretty much everything! This is as close as I've been able to get it... Contact at 3 different points.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
that makes no sense...

IIRC the only difference between the years of the TD04 turbos is the ones with the "king cobra" that has a slightly larger opening on the intake side. your intake would not fit if you got the TD04 from the earlier models since the cobra is too big to fit in the hole.

But the turbo is the same one, the only difference is the size of the inlet. you can fix this by either getting the right turbo and replacing it (again) or if you don't care if you have that extra little bit of performance you can get an earlier cobra pipe and fit that one.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
81 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the 06+ TD04s had a shorter compressor housing, so it didn't stick out as far to connect to the cobra pipe. Maybe he didn't realize and was having trouble with fitting the cobra pipe there?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could be wrong, but I think the 06+ TD04s had a shorter compressor housing, so it didn't stick out as far to connect to the cobra pipe. Maybe he didn't realize and was having trouble with fitting the cobra pipe there?
That's exactly the issue. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts