SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. This is my first thread on the forum as I have just joined. Not sure if this is the correct place to make this thread, so sorry if it's in the wrong area. I am replacing the turbo in my 2003 9-3 linear this week. I bought a good used turbo, the only issue is, one of the studs on the turbo for the downpipe are snapped on the one I bought. Is there a way to take the stud out and put one from my current turbo on it? If so, how do the studs come out? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This happened to me once. It's not fun. The threads on either side of the turbo studs are threaded in the same direction - turn right to tighten and turn left to loosen. I first tried using PB Blaster and letting that sit on the fused threads for about 30 minutes at a time. When that didn't work, I tried using some heat. I VERY CAREFULLY heated the area with a propane torch. When that didn't work, I tried drilling a small hole in the center of the stud with a drill and some cutting oil, then used a thread repair kit to try to reverse the broken stud out. When that didn't work, I ended up drilling the stud out with the correct size drill and some cutting oil, then using a tap and die kit to rethread the hole.

My last option was to drill an even bigger hole and fit it with a helicoil. Thank god it didn't go that far. I was prepared to remove the turbo and take it to a machine shop to pay someone to drill it out before fitting a helicoil. Anyway, if I wasn't pressed for time I would have removed the turbo from the engine and put it on a workbench to gain better access to the turbo stud. Leverage is really what you need. Plus, when you drill you must drill as STRAIGHT as possible.

Also, if there is still some threaded part of the stud left that you can put two nuts on it, tighten the two nuts (use regular nuts, not the turbo lock nuts) with separate wrenches against one another and then reverse the bottom nut to force the turbo stud to turn/unscrew counterclockwise.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I am going to be doing the swap over 4th of July as I have several days off work so I won't have the car down as it's my daily. There is only about 25% of the stud broken off but I highly doubt it's gonna be enough to get a proper nut back on it so im just gonna have to try and get it out. Also, I thought about it and once I get it out I'm just gonna go to the local hardware store and purchase a stud so I don't have to fight 2 studs and mess up the old turbo in case I need to put it back on worse case. I have a propane torch so I can try that if need be.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Lsn, if u dont have the tools or experience i suggest taking it to a machine shop, they wont charge much for extracting a screw, compared to the risk u have.
Choices are, if there are threads remaining out, weld a nut and heat the stud.
If it is flushed, then drill and tap.

·
Registered
509 Posts
A bit of PB blaster, and a couple reasonable heat cycles from a plumbing torch mixed with a vie grip should get that bad boy out. I'd replace with a new one though. Trying to remove one from your old turbo will be a pain just like trying to get the broken one out, and if you much up the threads in the process it won't work anyway. They are like $0.25. You'll pay more in shipping to get one than the cost of the part.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, after I torched it cherry red yesterday and the stud did not budge an ounce, I'm biting the bullet and taking it to a machine shop today. They said it would only be $50. Said about an hour and they should have it good. After buying drill bits and cutting fluid I would have about $20 in just that. So, $50 for them to do it and do it right doesn't seem bad to me at all. Thanks for all the input guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts