SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reviewing a few of the modded cars on this site, I have noticed that a few cars have had the heat shield removed from above the turbo. Why, and is it worth it.

Also, whilst I am picking at the knowledge of the collective, does anyone else notice the radiator fan cutting in quite regularly. I suspect this is usual with a hot running turbo motor (9-3 Aero), but just making sure. The Temp needle gets to mid point and stays there, so not worried, just curious.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi, welcome to site. IMO the turbo shield should be left alone as our engines suffer from soaring intake temperatures which will affect the performance of the car.

If it's any consolation my radiator fan seams to be doing the same as yours. I think the ECU controls the temp gauge and maintains a mid position unless it detects any abnormal behaviour and the needle is controlled accordingly.

Enjoy your car m8 and your stay at SAAB Central.

BTW Hope U got some pictures............:cheesy:

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Actually, I think you're seeing the fact that most of us w/ 900's never HAD a heat shield. I know I bought one from the dealer as well as a few others. But the shields were more a 9-3 thing. I got one b/c I figured maybe it'd keep the heat low in the engine bay and not rise up and soak the whole compartment as quickly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turbo heat shield, enlightened?

Thankyou

Heat shield, will remain as is. I may have been looking at 900s'.
Previously run 900S (A '94 at about '97) and dont remember torque steer, quick heating engine and a number of other foibles (Only produced a normally aspirated 130Bhp, so above may not have been a problem). Do remember comfort though, and the belief that I had not followed the herd into a similar priced BMW 318i of the time (Although, regrettably I did do this route on the advice of friends - Long story). Any advice for minor mods appreciated (From either side of the pond).

Currently replacing hoses for silicone hoses, as the stock items seem to go brittle with the heat, and the car has 60K on clock and noticing some check valves etc becoming clogged, so performing the routine on them.

I think torque steer mod is first on agenda and possibly a CAD drawing for an alternative bracket that your local machine shop can conjure up. My drawing is a little rusty but I believe I can knock a large chunk of cash off the current offerings by most suppliers, simply by reducing the complexity of current offerings, plus the material and manufacurers mark-up. (Might not be so easy for a on-off though, depends on my design, I'll let you know)

For all Americans that like a drink (Sorry GW?)

If you can get it, try 'Stella Artois' (Belgian beer). Guaranteed to knock your socks off.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I drink Stella all the time. I get mad when the pub does not serve it.

I even have the official Stella glasses at home. two fingers of head makes a proper pour.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Intact heat shields are the way to go. They add a nice tailored element to the engine bay. The fan should come on pretty regularly in the summer, but if it continues its eagerness in the fall and winter, you might need to replace the governing switch (the exact part number and name both escape me at the moment...)

Consider the rear anti-sway bar as well as the steering rack brace and mount. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at how different your car will feel.

And while I like Stella, I love Duvel! There's nothing like meeting people who claim, "Oh, dark beer is too heavy for me" and getting them to taste something as light as Bud but twice as strong....Shakes up their preconceptions of beer...

Welcome to the site....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Without the heat shield in tact (and after a spirited run) I can actually smell the plastic fan shroud getting hot (melted plastic smell)on my radiator so I know that the shroud is something I would never live without!

As for dark beers Stella and Duval are both good but have you guys ever tried Optimator from SPaten in germany? If not try a pint and you will not be disappointed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Optimator sounds good. If its anything like Stella then I will enjoy it. Not heard of Duvall?

Now convinced that I am going to leave heat shield alone.

The heat under the bonnet (hood), degrades the rubber pipes for the turbo, so replaced a couple of the worst ones. As i removed them they broke easily, so I thought 'not a problem', 'i will replace with silicone piping'. However I ended up paying £12 ($22) for 2 metres. Yes, I know. You dont have to say it, but I needed my car today and didnt have much choice:cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts