SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,
had a run out to-day after 60 miles parked up to get cash to of a hole in the wall (ATM).
Jumped back into car started car griffin 9-5 noticed a white smoke (well it was not blue) it could be white/grey came out the exhaust revved the engine more smoke then cleared.
Checked the car running on tick over exhaust clear no water coming out.

Only thing done before this was new cap for cooling top up bottle.

As previous thread have been losing coolant slowly.

I have spoken to my mate who's Saab savvy he thinks the turbo has gone.
I will check cylinders for water and in oil.

So a couple of questions
Can you confirm its the turbo 118k miles? he says it can just go happened to him.
Notice you can get a repair kit £30 for them before you say no! I am a trained precision mechanical engineer by trade so not phased by rebuilding it.
So what are your thoughts OH! I picked a Tech 2 with candi what fun I am having with saab and VX cards I am in Glasgow, Scotland if anyone needs connected and a small donation to cover price of unit..
all the best
BBM

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Well, it would take a lot more than that description to make me think turbo.

White is generally water, so it could be many things. I'd suspect head gasket more than turbo at this point, but it could be anything. Post more data.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
update

Hi,
took the car down to mates as we were going in his griffin to an Air Show he quickly thought it was grey smoke but time was short so no real progress.

On return started up car and thought it was white smoke, he mentioned when turbo seals went on his wifes saab it smoked grey for a while but oil cleared after a short time and smoke cleared. The turbo was goosed.

When started up before he thought it was white smoke and it did not clear while idling for a while I drove off white smoke was "Gone" but think that was because the car was moving dispersing the smoke but when stopped and at idle you could see smoke drifting by not as bad as on start up but there.
Think I will need it to take it for a pressure test to check! If its the head gasket looks like car is not worth repairing;oops: but its goes great and is fantastic great MPG on long runs and timing belt changed only 7000 mile before I got the car.
I should mention that the cars does not over heat and was wondering about a head retorque also now dont shoot the messenger There is a product called steel seal I have seen pros and cons about it but I had a car with a similar problem some years ago and said sod it whats to lose it turned out it worked fine and sealed the leak.
I could but a head gasket or 2 for v6 and take my time and change them but if head need skimmed it would possibly be not cost effective.

I have found the following info on the forum thread http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112954 which says "Everything I read in the archives says the V6 doesn't have head gasket issues" can this possibly be true?

cheers
BBM

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Still not much to go on.

There may not be many issues with head gaskets for v6, but ANY 118k car could have a head gasket go bad no matter how good it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.