SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 9-5 2.3 lpt 5sp. with 109,000 miles. It has the Saab tune-up kit installed by Saab, and it runs great! Yesterday, when I was leaving work, I fired it up and it smoked pretty good for a minute (never smoked before) and when I started driving it had no power of any kind. I have had no warning of any kind,no engine lights on dash, nothing. I have not been driving the vehicle hard to damage anything, trying to take it easy on the gas mileage on my 30 mile each way to work @ $3.19 a gallon! Any explainations,ideas, or suggestions? Or more importantly, anyone know where I can get a TDO4 turbo? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way I see it, if I'm going to do the same amount of work, I might as well install a TDO4 for durability and FUN!:cheesy:

·
Registered
192 Posts
As I understand it there is a bit more to it than just popping in the TD04 on a LPT motor. Also, even if you get it on there it will act just the same as the old one unless you modify the programming of the ECU.

Others have done it on here so there is plenty of info.

G

·
I read the TD04 turbo will have more turbo lag (larger unit) if you don't upgrade the ECU at the same time.

I was trying to find out what the differences are between the lpt and Aero engines but it didn't get very far. I still haven't found someone on here that actually has done the turbo and ECU upgrade.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113740

I am curious to find out if the engine internals will melt or break if you just put on the TD04 and Aero ECU. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From everthing that I have read the lpt and the aero engines are the exact same except for the turbo and the ecu. I have the SAAB upgrade kit that puts out 200 hp so hopefully the turbo lag is'nt to bad. If I have to upgrade the ecu again then I will start saving my pennys now!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wulf said:
What is this Saab upgrade kit that gives an extra 15hp? I have never heard of it before.
Actually it gives an extra 30hp, from 170hp to 200hp . Its a factory Saab accessory tuneup kit.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wulf said:
I am curious to find out if the engine internals will melt or break if you just put on the TD04 and Aero ECU. ;)
nope. there is always the chance of it happening, even on a LPT engine due to neglect on maintenance or whatnot, but an LPT engine can definitely handle the td04 and aero ecu. i have well exceeded that power on my 99 9-5 (which supposedly have the weakest of the weak 9-5 pistons throughout the years), and it has been fine for 40k+ miles at this power level.

Being that the two engines are the same, you better be able to just bolt those on and be good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts