SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL,

I'VE HAD MY 9000CSE2.3 FPT FOR JUST OVER A YEAR NOW BUT I'VE DISCOVERED THAT THE TURBO GAUGE IS STRAIGHT DIRECTLY BETWEEN THE WHITE AND YELLOW GAUGES WHETHER ENGINE IS ON OR OFF. I DO GET A CONSIDERABLE AMOUT OF BOOST BUT AS I UNDERSTAND FROM AND SEEN IN OTHER ONES RECENTLY THE DIAL MOVES BUT MINE DOESNT. ANYBODY KNOWS WHY AND HOW I CAN FIX THIS BLOODY THING MYSELF(ONLY IF IT IS DIY-ISH). I TEST-DROVE A SIMILAR ONE ADVERTISED ON EBAY AND THE PERFORMANCE(WAS INCREDIBLE) FAR OUTWEIGHS MINE. THE DIAL MOOVES BUT MINE DOESNT. ANY HELP?

G

·
Chances are that the supply hose from the inlet manifold has come loose.

The gauge should sit at 12 o'clock with the engine turned off, then drop to the lower half of the gauge upon engine start and follow the throttle application as the boost raises and lowers.

The hose itself breaks through the bulkhead to the left of centre of the dash, behind the glovebox on right hand drive versions.

The supply from the inlet manifold is the white hose (as pictured), although yours will probably be black.

There's also a grommet behind the driver's side speaker grille (on rhd models) which makes it a little easier to feed a new pipe through to the firewall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Leaky aircon hose attached to the compressor.

I 'll soon have a good look. Now here is another one for you:-
I noticed also by chance the gas from the aircon compressor is leaking via a hose directly bolted to the compressor. Previous owner had it re-gassed I think, so there's green colouration on the hose. Opened the bonnet once whilst engine was running and noticed bubbles coming out of that hose(a little crack-not seen by the untrained eye) attached to the compressor.
I want to replace it. DIY job? Step by step please, if possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BINGO. HAVING EXPLORED IT TWICE I FOUND A LOOSE HOSE WITH A GROMMET BUT COULDN'T LOCATE THE HOSE FROM THE BULK HEAD. GOT FRUSTRATED AND WENT BACK AGAIN WHEN THE ENGINE WAS COLD AND ALAS!! THERE WAS THE CULPRIT!!! MANAGED TO CONNNECT IT AND BINGO IT SPRUNG INTO LIVE WITH THE ENGINE ON. YOU ARE MAGIC.THE DIAL IS WORKING PERFECTLY-UP AND DOWN. THANKS A MILLION.:)

Returned said:
Chances are that the supply hose from the inlet manifold has come loose.

The gauge should sit at 12 o'clock with the engine turned off, then drop to the lower half of the gauge upon engine start and follow the throttle application as the boost raises and lowers.

The hose itself breaks through the bulkhead to the left of centre of the dash, behind the glovebox on right hand drive versions.

The supply from the inlet manifold is the white hose (as pictured), although yours will probably be black.

There's also a grommet behind the driver's side speaker grille (on rhd models) which makes it a little easier to feed a new pipe through to the firewall.

G

·
My pleasure Mr Saabaddict!

Air con wise, baring in mind the huge pressures involved, I'd get a pro or someone very knowledgable with the right kit to check it out for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
if the hose was loose wouldn,t the boost pressure be lost ?? i can,t get mine higher than middle of yellow....it is frustrating. i,m thinking of fitting a manual boost controller but i don,t know which hose to connect to where. i know where the stock one is and that it is 3 way but i,m not sure how to connect a manual one and i,m worried about damaging the turbo etc.

G

·
Not if it is the hose to the boost gauge. Since it only blows or sucks air according to the expansion or vacuum in the inlet manifold, it makes no difference to the boost pressure.

Sounds like your problem could be an air leak Geo. I'd do a re-hose first (cheap at about a tenner-ish) to see if that cure's problems.

If your turbo is working, then it's not working very hard. After that check the actuator is working (i.e. has resistance) and that everything is connected properly.

There's lots you can do before going down the manual boost controller route.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Geo9000

A common failure on the 9000 is for the wastegate rod to come loose and that would cause the car never to boost above base boost. It's worth checking that too.

If you go to www.saab9000.com , look under procedures for adjusting base boost, you'll see some really clear photos of what you need to look for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts