SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new T3/T4 turbo and I want to space the turbo further away from the end of the manifold to clear the transmission.
Can spacers be bought or do they have to be made. Would like to go out and up.
Any experience, pics?/

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
That's no joke Shan... Raul, Raul...

This is my conversion from T3 to what Turbo Technics call 'M10' - I'm sure there's another name
for it but it was different to the T3 flange so I had to convert.

My welding's not great in this photo. I'm still learning, but it's getting better...!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks this is exeactly what I had in mind although I would like to angle the "tube" upward slightly to get the turbo higher.

I need the space and height to get 3" intake piping to the turbo over the auto transmission I am using in my race car. Yes an auto. The locals use autos in drag and sprint racing and my transmission man says he can fit modern bands and clutch packs into the Borg Warner 37 to take the power. He is looking at using B/W 51 clutch packs. He is also looking at modifying the torque converter for better take off.

I thought of using a manual tranny but was scared off by all the failure reports so I will try the auto. If it doesnt work well what the hell it is only money I can sell my other kidney.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
the auto has some serious advantages over the manual but if you keep your rev limit at 6k then the top speed is about 125mph and that could come up rather quickly with a high-output motor.

The advantages of the auto are 3 long gears instead of 5 shorter gears go really well with a turbocharged engine. Take-off is more controlled with the autobox and you change gear with the throttle open so you don't dump boost on gearhanges. My old automatic T16 was very quick - I won many road races in that car against some impressive competition.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ejenner - thats pretty much my line of thinking. Good to have some confirmation I am on track. Will keep posted developments.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ejenner - can you recall the size of the tube you used. I have looked here but cannot find a suitable size.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
The new flange for the turbo side already had the neck on it and was supplied with the turbo. You'll probably have to hunt around to find something similar. I can't really help you with supplier info as you're a long way from England! If you ask custom exhaust shops or turbo shops - somone should be able to help.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I had looked closely enough I would have figured that out for myself - doh!!

I managed to snaffle 9000 front calipers, 9000 throttle body and distributor with Hall plug on side for only A$120 off the bay. The local Saab wrecker wanted A$145 a side for the calipers - good score

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
ejenner said:
the auto has some serious advantages over the manual but if you keep your rev limit at 6k then the top speed is about 125mph and that could come up rather quickly with a high-output motor.

The advantages of the auto are 3 long gears instead of 5 shorter gears go really well with a turbocharged engine. Take-off is more controlled with the autobox and you change gear with the throttle open so you don't dump boost on gearhanges. My old automatic T16 was very quick - I won many road races in that car against some impressive competition.
That's why I quite like my 8V turbo with it's auto trans. I can keep the power on and the transmission shifts at the appropriate time. Only issue is fairly harsh downshifting at low speed pulling up for traffic lights, etc. otherwise no complaints at all with the 3-speed autos.

My 16V car is an auto too and I'll starting to accumulate all the items I need to put the spare turbo on that engine to change it from an n/a car to a high-compression turbo engine car. Only need a little bit of boost! 8 to 9 psi will do the job fine once I mod a turbo distributor. Just need all the turbo exhaust items now...

Craig.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts