SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few months my turbo has been making an odd noise when the pressure would build. And since I was unemployed at the time, I knew I wasn't going to be able to fix it whatever it was.

But not just the other day the noise was replaced by a nice old-fashioned exhaust noise. At first I thought someone was driving near me with a bad exhaust, but I turned my radio off, and rolled my window down it was ME! ;oops:

So now I have a exhaust leak somewhere, it is very audible at start up, and sounds like a model T Ford or a lawnmower. I can post a video for those of you who care to hear/see. And I can hear it coming from the engine, not just the exhaust itself.

So i'm figuring it has something to do with the turbo to exhaust manifold connection. I'm just not sure where to start. I guess it could be as easy as tightening and replacing a gasket.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, and I forgot to mention this. My boost seems to be fine.

Maybe a little slower, it's not that noticeable. The boost gauge still get's to almost red. They car appears as fast as before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure there are no disconnected hoses in your engine bay. I fixed my turbo leak yesterday through finding i had a disconnected hose that started from my transmission and another disconnected hose from the bypass valve.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure there are no disconnected hoses in your engine bay. I fixed my turbo leak yesterday through finding i had a disconnected hose that started from my transmission and another disconnected hose from the bypass valve.
I do not believe it's a vacuum issue, I have experience that before, and that usually doesn't make much noise.

It's an exhaust issue. I'll make a quick video, that'll be fun.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this seems to be a typical case good news/bad news.

This morning I removed the heat shield, and intake pipe. Upon further inspection of the exhaust manifold, I noticed that the far (closest to air filter) seemed loose.

So I tried to tighten it a bit... And it just came out. Broken! :(

Check out the pictures...

And for those interested, here a fun video of the noise and my commentary.

Video of exhaust noise on my 2003 Saab 9-5

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to remove the bold pieces. Reverse tap i'd guess, just don't wanna mess it up. And how much and what parts do I have to remove to get to that lower stud.

I know it has to be tightened to 20nm, now if I can only find my torque wrench.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
if you're lucky an EZ-out will work. you have to drill a hole into the middle of the remaining bolt and then the EZ-out reverse-threads itself into the hole and extracs the bolt

if you're not lucky, you'll have to drill it out and try to tap the hole again. If it's really messed up you'll end up having to use a helicoil into a larger hole that then accepts the threads.

But you're going to probably have to take the exhaust manifold off to do this, so you've got a project on your hands!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just had to replace mine too (studs) but still haven't solved my leak. I did it w/the manifold on, one stud at a time, only had one that gave me trouble. They're not in there that tight and were pretty easy to remove once the work was done.

I used my cordless drill and a Milwakee right angle attachment from Home Depot and a set of Irwin E-Z outs, less than $30 in tools and only took me about 3 hours start to finish. I found a set of exhaust studs and locking nuts at my local NAPA for $12.

I think my problem is the exhaust didn't seat right on the manifold, it was fine when I took it apart, I replaced all the gaskets/studs, and when I start it now it sounds like an old VW until it gets warmed up.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Not to discourage, but you should have some pretty sharp skills to attempt this job. Things can go pretty wrong, pretty fast.

Left handed drill bits work wonders here. I gave up on "easy outs". Get centered and work your way up in bit size. There's usually a little space between the end of the broken stud and the head, you'll feel the bit "give" as it breaks through the stud. Drill slow, oil the bit

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that sounds exactly the same!

I ended up now doing it myself, and took it a garage. As for the turbo noise, that went away after that. Turned out it the the leaking manifold the whole time.

Mickel

·
Registered
50 Posts
thanks for your feedback, could you clarify ? it was broken manifold ? Should I consider this option ?

I mean, it was not only the exhaust gasket ?

BR

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am in this same boat. I've had my car for two months now and I went from the following thoughts:

*wow, this is pretty cool, I can hear the turbo all the time

*hmmmm, other Saabs don't sound like this and it might be a vacuum leak rather than a super cool sounding turbo

*okay, I fixed all the exhaust leaks/lines and replaced all the PCV...still making noise...

*crap, I think it's the exhaust gasket leaking because I can hear it in the front of the engine and smell exhaust

So, I guess I am in for a new gasket at a minimum. Did anyone attempt/perform this. A fried just showed me the 50 steps from WIS to remove the freakin' thing.

-Collin-

·
Registered
50 Posts
I solved my problem thanks to this post. My exhaust gasked manifold was leaking and some broken studs were making this odd noise. Thanks to mickel1138 !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts