SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, very cool site!

First time Saab owner. Growing on me the more I drive the car.

The car: 97 900 SE 2.0 Turbo/ 4D/ Auto /Tan w/Tan guts leather w/169.XXX miles.

Problem: The motor it self is not noisy or the exhaust system is not leaking any where. But; the noise I'm hearing is coming from underneath the turbo it self. There seems to be a plate or a flat lever bolted to the bottom of the turbo. This is what I think is the culprit. Sounds like a fluttery exhaust sound like noise. I can make it go away if I put downward pressure on the plate using a screw driver/pushing down lightly on the arm or plate. Whatever this thing is.

Is this common, or is there something that I can do to make this quite again?

Any ways, the car over all is pretty cool.

Thanks for your help with this.

Todd.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum Todd!

G96nt said:
a picture would be AMAZINGLY helpful. a picture of any quality.
I think he is looking at the turbocharger "stay". The stay is a flat piece of metal stamped in a curved shape. Both ends are drilled for one bolt at each end (I think). The stay attaches to the block at one end, other end on the bottom of the turbocharger. I assume its purpose is to support the turbo, so it does not just hang on the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Sounds from the description like the wastegate arm? - is there a rod with a threaded part on it which goes to a small canister with a hose on the top?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Toddster13 said:
So the 'stay' may be the leak? Could I just tighten up the bolt holding it to the turbo?
Todd - the bolts can be tightened, but I don't know if that is related to the noise. Your decription of a flat and curved piece of metal sounds to me like the turbo stay. That is a purely structural part, normally there is no play in it at either end..

Shirozina is talking about a threaded rod wich connects the wastegate actuator to the wastegate. There is a nut on it which is used to adjust the base boost.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

It looks like both of what you are all describing. I do know for sure that at the end of this plate it has a small bolt with a small hole going through it and has a cotter pin holding it there, connecting a threaded rod to it.

Anyways, if this is that stationary ‘stay’, will this noise get any worse? I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s really not that loud. But if I could make it go away the car would sound a lot cooler.

Thanks again…Todd:cool:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It's definatley your wastegate arm then. It should not be loose - grab the rod ( when the engine is cold) and pull it to the right as you are looking at it from the front ( it's quite stiff). You should be able to feel the spring tension. If there is any slack it's either broken or need adjusting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All right guys, had time to look closer at the part. And also talked to the Saab dealer where I bought the car from. Combining all of your help and there’s, it's fixed!!

The waste gate/ stay was just loose.
So all I did was take out the cotter pin, separate the stay from the adjustable bar and turn it in one full rev. And now the leak is gone and get this, I have like renewed power now!!

Thanks for all of your help with this. Hope I can help you guys some day to.

Todd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shirozina said:
It's definatley your wastegate arm then. It should not be loose - grab the rod ( when the engine is cold) and pull it to the right as you are looking at it from the front ( it's quite stiff). You should be able to feel the spring tension. If there is any slack it's either broken or need adjusting.
the waste gate has good spring to it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Glad you sorted it - if you want to do a really good job you should adjust it further. Unwind it again until the length of the arm is just able to slide over the pin without compressing the spring - then screw it in 3.5 turns and lock it off. On a T25 the arm has a kink in it and it's very important that the orientation of this is such that the rod can move in and out of the housing hole on the left without rubbing. This procedure is called setting the base boost. Too much tension and the car can overboost at high revs and too little tension and you get loss of power at high revs. Yours was so loose though that you got no power at all - enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts