SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been beaten to death more times than I'd car to know, but the first 15 pages of a search didn't yield the results I was after so I got lazy and decided to do it this way.

Anyway, I've got* an '86 900S, but I want boost. As far as I can figure I just need to find the engine from a 900T and just dump it in, turn it on, and enjoy. After that all I know is that the driveshafts are different on '88 and newer cars.

Is it really that easy? Do I have to hack up the wiring in the process?

I guess what I'm looking for is a list of what I'm going to need to do the swap :lol:

*The car is actually mine and, depending on another situation with another car, may not even become mine. Chances are it's going to be this one, though.

As a bit of an introduction; I'm 15 and live in a small town in northern VT. I caught the Saab bug early and haven't been able to shake it yet. I like to think I know what I'm talking about but that's not usually really the case... Some of you may know me from TSL ;)

Anyway, that's that!

-Stig

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah all us N/A guys want boost haha. This topic has been covered way too many times and I've been a culprit of that haha. Yea you can swap but this I know from previous answers, youll need an turbo ecu/apc/knock protection, boost guage preferably, the intercooler, downpipe etc... I dont know if you are getting an engine with all that stuff too. I know thats part of it, theres probably more stuff you need though. Your gonna hear this too, "you should have gotten a turbo car." Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i'm sorry to say it again, but i have to repeat "you should have gotten a turbo car." or should get??? you say the car "is mine" but the rest of the sentence suggests not.

seriously though, it is far more economical both financially and time wise to buy a turbo car and go from there.

then again, i know i might be dead if i had started driving a turbo'd car as compared to an '82 ovloV autobox with no overdrive, then an '89 Taurus, then an '87 Dakota p/u (with the 4 cyl) those were all family vehicles, handed down in an attempt to keep me in one piece.

on the other hand, if you dont drive like you are protected by a roll cage and 5 point harness on a closed course like i did, you should be fine. find a turbo'd car and go from there. for the same investments of time and finances, you can easily have one helluva fast ride.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm mainly looking at my options as I do this. Finding a 5spd turbo car in running condition for cheap is proving to be difficult, I've already got this one ;)

I am on the lookout for a cheap turbo car ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I paid $300 for my '89 SPG :p
Drove it to Randolph from Brattleboro, mostly in 4th gear. 5th proved elusive for most of the tirp home.
1 owner car...but the service records are rather scary (15k miles + between numerous oil changes...).

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fetchitfido said:
I paid $300 for my '89 SPG :p
Drove it to Randolph from Brattleboro, mostly in 4th gear. 5th proved elusive for most of the tirp home.
1 owner car...but the service records are rather scary (15k miles + between numerous oil changes...).
Not cool, my brother paid that for this car.. and there's no way it's gonna compare to an SPG. :p

I found a NICE '85 900T on ebay with a blown headgasket for $400 but it's almost as many miles away as it is dollars :( ;)

My plans change often and now I'm just going to find a Turbo car. Yay indecision!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts