SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I hope that everyone's well and looking forward to some good weather! Well it's not arrived here! Still raining like their is no tomorrow :cry: and to top things off I can't get the bolts on my turbo that connects the down pipe to it off!! :evil:

I'm take receivership of a full 3" system including down pipe and cat by-pass tomorrow along with performance filter and new blow off valve :cheesy: But at the rate things are going I can get the dam bolts off to change the down pipe.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions on how to get these off. The sizes also seem to be a little strange, might just be that someone has round them off a little?

The bolts are not that easy to get to either which doesn't help, so any suggestions would be good.

p.s. I've tried all the motor trade rust removers etc to help ease them off.

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
They're either 12mm or 13mm, I can't remember which but I'm sure it's one of them and it's easy to check it.

They all come off with a long socket, the only one that is tricky is the hidden one which needs some extension bars so you can stick the ratchet between the A/C compressor and the fender. The bars should pass between the compressor and the water pump, IIRC. I think a universal joint is needed, too.

I just checked the procedure on BillJ's site (www.saab9000.com), he only says to remove the three nuts with a ring spammer of a socket with a T.... :confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats great, gives all the info. I've tried a 13mm spanner and 12mm but they don't want to grip :cry:

An ideas on what to do next?

·
Registered
593 Posts
they are 13 iirc and if you can get "crescent " ones they make getting the one "round the back " a lot easier

failing that you can cut down an old spanner to fit (I did !!)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Split the nuts with a dremel and then gently open/rotate with a chisel. Then use self-grip pliers to gently rock them back and forth to undo.

The studs might move, but won't necessarily come out. DON'T LEAN ON THEM!!!

The nuts WERE 13mm, but are just rusty PITA bits now.

Oh, I got the fan/shroud off on mine for more access to the bottom one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats great,

Thanks for all the help lads, i've just got off the phone to my local SAAB specilist and they said they deal with this issue alot so have quite a bit of experince in getting them off.

I think i'll let them do it so i don't mess it up! They said it won't take longer then 3 hours! :cheesy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts