SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a thread that someone said (wow i can ryhme) that removing the turbo discharge silencer increases preformance ... what the heck is the turbo discharge silencer (pictures would be helpful) also what is a cold air intake.. i always assumed it was another way of saying intercooler .. im stupid though

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
No one is stupid, you just might be a beginner. A cold air intake is one that moves the filter usually far into the bumper away from the engine or where the stock air box was. The cold air intake usually increases the risk of picking up water off the road during rain due to its placement (behind the fog light of our cars is a common place for a one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
All of the 900's have them and the 185 hp 9-3's have them. If the car has the Viggen crossflow intercooler (all of the the 9-3 SE models I think) then you don't have the silencer.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I think you got a T5, with the old style (bad) intercooler. Look down from the radiator, if you see an aluminum pipe coming out of the turbo parallel to the bottom of the radiator and 2 AC lines, you got the old style and you got a silencer.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
:cheesy: If you aren't sure what to look for with that, just look at the top of the engine;)

If the big block(ignition cassette) across the center of it is red it is T-5 = old/bad Intercooler type.:cry:

If the big block(ignition cassette) across the center is Black, it means T-7 = New cross flow Intercooler.:cheesy:

Most (if not all) Model year 99 9-3 SE's are T-5 management systems and have the old style intercooler. To my knowledge, the Viggen is the only 9-3 that used the cross-flow Intercooler in 1999.

Mine is the same as yours if you have a red ignition cassette. Forget about the turbo silencer, save your cash, and put in a viggen or aftermarket intercooler. The difference in performance will be much larger than just removing the silencer.;)

EDIT:
Sorry, Just saw your location. Canadian cars may have had different setup than US spec, I don't know for sure...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the intercooler on mp performance is cross flow, but would i be able to put that into my car if mine is not a cross flow one.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Many threads on this topid. I'm getting a Viggen cross-flow for mine. A lot of the guys upgrading to the new MP unit are selling their old cross-flows dirt cheap. Just a suggestion. If you know your ultimate performance goals, you'll know what you should do.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Yep, but you would need to change a hose to one that comes directly from the compressor side of the turbo and meets the IC under the air conditioner compressor. I think this hose is pretty expensive, but you might be able to find one at a parts yard...

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
stromer said:
Many threads on this topid. I'm getting a Viggen cross-flow for mine. A lot of the guys upgrading to the new MP unit are selling their old cross-flows dirt cheap. Just a suggestion. If you know your ultimate performance goals, you'll know what you should do.
Excellent point...

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the SE HOT's from 99 have the cross-flow IC?

Even if you don't, the Viggen or MP IC upgrade isn't tooooo difficult if you don't mind seeing your bumper removed. 4 hrs for me.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Marks900SE said:
What was it a 99 1/2 thing or just random?
With all car makers they sometimes change or modify designs throughout the year as they discover flaws or make better or upgraded parts.

Case in point was my 94 Saturn that was made in April and in may they changed the motor mounts to a new design and left me having to pay $300 to upgrade my stupid mounts!

So I guess it is luck of the draw!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
:eek: ;oops: Thanks B!:cheesy:

Yep, it was actually about 99 2/3 (according to my Saab dealer, don't know for sure:cheesy: )when they started the HOT production. They didnt have them prior to that...

So if your car is a HOT it has T-7 and crossflow, if not it is T-5 and reverse-flow:roll:

Sorry bout that but good luck with it either way!;)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
That doesn't make sense. By what you said then there are some 99 T-7s? Nah. I think the only change was the cross-flow in 99 2/3. Cause the turbo is still T25, right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts