SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant get ahold of the one person selling an 83 900T up in anacordez wa.I also can't find his ad on tsn...I was really looking forward to being turboed..Anybody know of a turbo parts car near me?Or a turbo engine with wiring harness,apc,and ecu?(in short a parts car)

·
Registered
8 Posts
LoL I just bought an 83 900 Turbo from a guy in Bellingham for $100.00 It is rust free but smokes as I'm told it needs a new Turbo. Do you have any ideas of where to get a rebuilt or aftermarket turbo on the cheap? My wife is not to happy about this thing in the garage but I'm planning on fixing it up.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
There are lots of places to get turbochargers, but I can think of many other things that could cause it to smoke that are more likely -- like a failed head gasket.

Any other symptoms?

Welcome to Saab Central.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that would explain why I couldnt get ahold of him....:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: congrats on the purchase...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
eggsngrits said:
I can think of many other things that could cause it to smoke that are more likely -- like a failed head gasket.
It could be other things.......depending on other sympoms..........however my 1st guess would the turbo.

ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do not think it was the same car as the one in Anacortes. This car was actually in ACME and was about 40 miles from Anacortes. It was just in this guys yard. I did find in another thread the guy in Bellingham who was giving away parts for an 83 turbo. I tried calling him but couldn't get a hold of him. Does anyone know anything more about this? Car idles fine no obvious water in the oil but I have not checked the coolant. Thanks for your replies. I am very excited about this project and I'm glad there is a lot of support. I am not a good mechanic but everyone has to start somewhere. I will post some pictures of my progress as this goes on. My wife has given me one year, if she doesn't like what she see's I have to get rid of it.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
If you're going to work on the car a bit yourself, the best manual to have is the Bentley. Make sure you get the right one - I think you have an 8V there. If it was 16V it would say on the valve cover. That will save you a lot of money paying garages. There's also a huge amount of information on this site that can be found by doing a search. This smoke you're getting - if it was blue in colour that would indicate oil. I think the 1983 would have an oil-cooled turbo. If you accelerate hard then take your foot off the gas there would be a puff of blue smoke from the exhaust if it was the turbo oil seals leaking. If necessary start a new thread so people can go into more detail.

I'm sure once she's driven it you'll have trouble getting the keys back off your wife :D .

Welcome to Saab Central :cool:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Smeghead said:
My wife has given me one year, if she doesn't like what she see's I have to get rid of it.
what, the wife? :cheesy: i bet every one on sc has had there wives tell them to "get rid of that heap of junk" and i bet none of us have listened :roll: :lol: my missus was always telling me that, she has given up saying it now ;)

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
You shut them up with a straight cars for shoes swap. You get rid of yours if they get rid of theirs. Or whatever it is that they have too much of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts