SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to find out where the coolant comes from for the turbo. I'm adapting it to my 2.2 L61 and I want to use them.

Someone I know said the lines might be from the thermostat housing on the 2.0T. Is that right? Can someone post up a picture and a part number maybe?

I would really appreciate it!
Thanks

Also: does anyone know where I can get the stock turbo coolant lines?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
As I recall, our turbos are cooled by both oil (banjo fittings on top) and water.

This is in a few older threads and the WIS, which I don't have handy right now. The discussion came up regarding the need for a "turbo timer." Such a timer is not needed because Saab uses reverse convection to circulate water through the turbo once the engine is turned off. Again, the WIS has a nice description of this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
michaLcoughliN said:
Turbos are not cooled by coolant. Only oil is fed to the turbo to lub the turbo and then is fed back.

You need to read more about engines / turbos / superchargers etc etc etc

www.howstuffworks.com

Read first.
Some turbos are cooled by coolant AND oil. I want to do both. :cheesy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ctrlz said:
As I recall, our turbos are cooled by both oil (banjo fittings on top) and water.

This is in a few older threads and the WIS, which I don't have handy right now. The discussion came up regarding the need for a "turbo timer." Such a timer is not needed because Saab uses reverse convection to circulate water through the turbo once the engine is turned off. Again, the WIS has a nice description of this.
Right, I'm trying to not have the need for a turbo timer unless I'm at the track. That's why I'm asking about the thermostat housing. :D

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
This reverse flow business isn't that complicated. You can often here the fan kick on a few minutes after the car is turned off, particularly in warmer weather. There's your turbo timer!

·
Registered
160 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
Turbos are not cooled by coolant. Only oil is fed to the turbo to lub the turbo and then is fed back.

You need to read more about engines / turbos / superchargers etc etc etc

www.howstuffworks.com

Read first.
Not entirely true-
the 06 Aero uses a water-cooled Mitsubishi TDO4-15TK twin-scroll turbocharger...

I'm not sure, but I don't think the 2.0's have water cooled turbos...

·
Banned
631 Posts
hmm im very interested to see pictures of this / article about this.

Ive never heard of this.

Might I add I work with trucks / heavy equipment. (I fix garbage trucks)

All the turbos I replace / see are only oil fed. no actual "cooling" only lubrication

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Turbos in 2.0's definitely water cooled. Just looked it up in the WIS. There are two separate pipe fittings which connect from the cylinder head to the turbo compressor.

The reverse flow present at shutdown is called "thermosiphoning."

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
hmm im very interested to see pictures of this / article about this.

Ive never heard of this.

Might I add I work with trucks / heavy equipment. (I fix garbage trucks)

All the turbos I replace / see are only oil fed. no actual "cooling" only lubrication
All Saab turbos, the Mitsubishis, Garretts and even the newer Borg-Warner ones AFAIK, are oil and water cooled and have been since the early 90s.

Most small-frame turbos are both, as there's no way to adequately cool with just the volume of oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts