SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just wondering if there is a way to boost the turbo pressure a bit? On my 1999 wagon with the 2.3 I believe I have an E designation making 170. A couple extra HP would be nice. I am waiting for Monday (shops closed today) to go buy exhaust pieces for freer flow. Is boost pressure a function of the wastegate? What is the valve with the 3 rubber hoses going to the turbo for again? I’m writing this away from home without benefit of the manual. Thanks in advance ?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes. Re-mapped ECU, to stage 1, should be around 200 hp with no hardware changes. In UK the acknowledged expert does them for about £90 so there must be An equivalent in your land. For a taster, see http://www.noobtune.co.uk/

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Don't waste your time and money on "freer flow" the factory exhaust is good up to 260 h.p. untouched.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't waste your time and money on "freer flow" the factory exhaust is good up to 260 h.p. untouched.
It’s all rusty and holes so imma run 2.375 or 2.5, whatever it is close to all the way back to a muffler. It doesn’t matter what kind of engine you have, they are just big air pumps. A good analogy is “if you try and make a sprinter breathe through a straw when he or she is running it won’t work very well”. So you’re saying that getting rid of the Middle resonator and stock muffler and adding pipe straight back to aftermarket muffler won’t add efficiency and hp? That’s like saying deleting balance shafts don’t give you any gains. If that were true why do all the cars on the track have no balance shafts and modded exhaust?

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Yea no idea where to get that around here, that’s why I asked about mechanical, not electronic...
numerous tuners around. jzw, brew city boost, etc. all of them advertise on this board. you need to send them your VIN and immobilizer number and they can send you an ECU that is pre-set to put into your car. Easy, peasy!

The point about the stock exhaust up to 260HP is that the "air pump" can make so much power based on displacement fuel, etc. And there is plenty of flow in the stock exhaust (and intake) to get enough air in and out. If you want to go higher you need to increase the flow on both ends.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
numerous tuners around. jzw, brew city boost, etc. all of them advertise on this board. you need to send them your VIN and immobilizer number and they can send you an ECU that is pre-set to put into your car. Easy, peasy!

The point about the stock exhaust up to 260HP is that the "air pump" can make so much power based on displacement fuel, etc. And there is plenty of flow in the stock exhaust (and intake) to get enough air in and out. If you want to go higher you need to increase the flow on both ends.
Cool. I will have to look them up. And I understand the air in air out part. So why is it people upgrade just exhaust with things like Krona etc exhaust manifold and assorted parts in the exhaust flow back and report gains without the ecu tune? Is everyone who installs these exhaust lying? Of course they will work better with an ecu tune, but they still add without. The intakes on these cars are pretty smooth to begin with, but could use a polish. In the intermediate section of the intake, I took my carbide burr and machined out the casting flash. It was pretty bad in there.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Cool. I will have to look them up. And I understand the air in air out part. So why is it people upgrade just exhaust with things like Krona etc exhaust manifold and assorted parts in the exhaust flow back and report gains without the ecu tune? Is everyone who installs these exhaust lying? Of course they will work better with an ecu tune, but they still add without. The intakes on these cars are pretty smooth to begin with, but could use a polish. In the intermediate section of the intake, I took my carbide burr and machined out the casting flash. It was pretty bad in there.
They aren't lying, they're just subject to confirmation bias. (e.g. I just spent $500 on this Krona downpipes and gee, my car seems like it's got more power)

Same with the free flow intakes, none of them mean anything until you get above a pretty big number. the stock intake plumbing actually does pretty good. (assuming you have the TD04 and the "King Cobra" attached to it.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
So why is it people upgrade just exhaust with things like Krona etc exhaust manifold and assorted parts in the exhaust flow back and report gains without the ecu tune? Is everyone who installs these exhaust lying?
I have a 200 cell race cat on a drop dead gorgeous Taliaferro 3" downpipe, I've done a resonator delete (has a lovely rumble at idle but a bit of a drone if you're at a steady 85 miles per hour) and stock for the rest of the exhaust with a stage 2 tune.

IF I were to buy a Krona it would be for sound and longevity only, there is no performance increase, none even claimed by any of the manufacturers (well not credible manufacturers anyway).

If you have thirteen minutes to spare (grab a cold beverage of your choice, you must have some rum onboard Cap'n) and watch this, it was a huge eye opener to me as an old 60's and 70's hot rod builder and driver.

Air in and air out is....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They aren't lying, they're just subject to confirmation bias. (e.g. I just spent $500 on this Krona downpipes and gee, my car seems like it's got more power)

Same with the free flow intakes, none of them mean anything until you get above a pretty big number. the stock intake plumbing actually does pretty good. (assuming you have the TD04 and the "King Cobra" attached to it.
I have a 200 cell race cat on a drop dead gorgeous Taliaferro 3" downpipe, I've done a resonator delete (has a lovely rumble at idle but a bit of a drone if you're at a steady 85 miles per hour) and stock for the rest of the exhaust with a stage 2 tune.

IF I were to buy a Krona it would be for sound and longevity only, there is no performance increase, none even claimed by any of the manufacturers (well not credible manufacturers anyway).

If you have thirteen minutes to spare (grab a cold beverage of your choice, you must have some rum onboard Cap'n) and watch this, it was a huge eye opener to me as an old 60's and 70's hot rod builder and driver.

Air in and air out is....

Hmm I will check it out. I am also trying to get a rumble (literally hate that bumblebee nose the ricer crowd makes) but I have been researching mufflers now to get decent rumble with less of the drone. I’ve narrowed it down a bit. Lol there are a lot of choices out there for sure. And I only used Krona as an example since it was the first name that came to mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts