SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my center section together and am trying to decide between "Simply Saab" or "Gpop" for the balance. Simply Saab is about 110 miles from me, and brag about having the best balancing equipment, so I'm leaning towards them. Gpop is further away. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My point was Simply Saab's bragging; is it warranted? What does it say about its staff?

I have been at Evergreen Turbo's shop and talked to the owner in person enough to believe he is more than competent. And I have found lots of positive feedback on him online. I have never been at Gpop's shop in person, but my dealings with them and my searching online has shown good things.

How much do you know about Simply Saab and their turbo rebuilding and balancing skills? Besides their claims, that is. It might be a great shop with highly experienced staff, or it might be the equivalent of Jiffy Lube with shiny machines. You probably know them better than I do.

You see, I would have no problems driving 100miles to check a shop out before letting them touch my turbo.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Balancing

Theres a good video on youtube about balancing turbos,it might be helpful as it shows the latest balancing machines and technics.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
My point was Simply Saab's bragging; is it warranted? What does it say about its staff?

I have been at Evergreen Turbo's shop and talked to the owner in person enough to believe he is more than competent. And I have found lots of positive feedback on him online. I have never been at Gpop's shop in person, but my dealings with them and my searching online has shown good things.

How much do you know about Simply Saab and their turbo rebuilding and balancing skills? Besides their claims, that is. It might be a great shop with highly experienced staff, or it might be the equivalent of Jiffy Lube with shiny machines. You probably know them better than I do.

You see, I would have no problems driving 100miles to check a shop out before letting them touch my turbo.
Simply Saab is reputable, I believe a number of us have had rebuilds from there. I would also look into Blouch turbos in Lebanon, PA and compare prices.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I hear all kinds of things about High Tech Turbo out here in Utah. Though they're primarily a truck/diesel place, I'm sure they know their stuff. I see them all over the place on the internet.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok, misunderstood the intent ;ol;

Theres a good video on youtube about balancing turbos,it might be helpful as it shows the latest balancing machines and technics.
Yeah, I've seen the video from Simply Saab's link of what they are using.

Simply Saab is reputable, I believe a number of us have had rebuilds from there. I would also look into Blouch turbos in Lebanon, PA and compare prices.
That's what I was thinking in reference to them. Figured I pose a question before acting. If Gpop was closer, I'd consider them as well as they're popular on other forums too.

Thanks for the feedback, got a call into Simply Saab!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called Gpop and decided to go with them as they don't seem to mind balancing turbos people are rebuilding themselves, and "Joe" answered my questions without attitude ;ol; $65 is very reasonable. Also bought some stepped gap rings for both the exhaust side and compressor side for an extra $12 or so. I wasn't too happy with the standard rings from the rebuild kit, and apparently the stepped gap or "gapless" rings I'll be installing are more durable and can withstand more abuse. I'm also getting a new "Dog Dish" (heat shield) from them as well. They said if I overnighted the parts needed for the balance, they'd work me in and ship it by Friday as they're on vacation for most of next week. Had it gotten there Friday, it would of been an extra wait of almost 2 weeks.

So a big ++ on the customer service end. Now let's see how things go.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
When your at the "G-pop shop" tell them I got one of there turbos in OZ and it goes like "boonta" :p.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The G-pop shop only ship within the U.S.

Davids shop was the "Middle man" and he also supplied the stock T-25 core, so I didn't have to ship mine over.
David done all the organizing then shipped me the turbo.

When you get on the G-pop website you'll see that they do the big T-28 upgrade. That's mine :p.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have that T28 from gpop aswell. I rather liked those guys. Had a rather nice chat on the phone with them and the turn around was pretty quick. I was going to go with simply saab at first since theyre like 20 miles from me but they only did the 25/28 hybrid crap. But ya i was satisfied with Gpopshop.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, after they inspected my exhaust wheel there was apparently some stress cracks (hidden under the carbon deposits maybe?) rendering it no good. So they sold me a new OEM exhaust wheel/shaft over the phone for.......~gulps~ $155. Wasn't too happy about this, but it's going to basically be a BRAND NEW modded turbo with only the ported exhaust housing being "original" when it's said and done. Technically it'll be like a 2860RS with a smaller exhaust wheel then what typically comes on them and minus the BB, but since the exhaust housing is ported it won't have the restrictions the stock T25 had. Average HP from 2000-6200 should be fairly strong since it'll be moving more air earlier in the rev range (Look at a dyno sheet with a "similar" turbo making say 300HP. It'll be doing nothing until nearly 3k-3500 rpm's then it's numbers will jump up on the graph closer to the advertised *PEAK* HP. Having more HP/TQ earlier on will make this a faster street car with less "peak HP" than say a maxed out TD04 as the average HP/TQ will be greater- at least this is what I'm banking on and why I decided NOT to go the full "Big T28" route as having a slightly higher PEAK HP rating up top wasn't worth the trade-off in lower rpm power + lag), which is needed for a quick street car, and I doubt I'll have to worry about anyone catching me off boost as it'll be good to go in any gear :cheesy: A lot of people focus on PEAK HP numbers and use them to designate how "fast" their car is which doesn't mean a whole lot (I'm sure I'm going to get hate mail for this, but whatever). If you're only making 160HP until 3500 rpms and then it jumps up to 240 @4000 then reaches PEAK HP at 5800 rpms for example, you'll obviously need to stay up in the higher rpms if you're "racing" and want to be competitive, hence why some people have to be moving already as they're too slow from a start. I'm hoping to get better numbers earlier on to have a higher average HP.

They had to order the dog dish (heat shield) as I guess the Saab T25's are different than others (that's what Jim @Gpop told me) that they typically stock, so they're waiting until Tuesday to ship everything back to me. Still gotta place an order for the GT2860RS compressor housing and hopefully everything will be back in the car in a week or so, and I'll post a video of it in action after it's had a little break in period to make sure everything is OK.

I was going to just do a post on how to do the upgrade as everything can be done in-house with exception to the balance (the circumference of the hole in the housing to accommodate the larger GT2860RS wheel was easy to do with a Dremel and a small grinding wheel) but unfortunately there are quite a few bad threads with mistakes on how to "rebuild a T25" from reputable links so I'm going to do a rebuild+upgrade thread to hopefully help prevent people from making the mistake of "adding" extra parts from the rebuild kit into their turbo when they aren't intended for "OUR" Saab T25's. Some people add a washer and the coil washer to the exhaust side when they aren't designed to be installed in our T25's. Thanks to "Jim" from Gpop for clarifying this and answering my questions when I had him on the phone ;ol;

Only negative with Gpop is several of the prices I was quoted by "Joe" for the stepped gap ring ($12) and the heat shield ($14) before shipping the parts to them were LOWER than the prices "Jim" told me (Jim said the ring was $20 and the shield was $20 with shipping included but they weigh nothing) a day later after they had my parts. I'm assuming it was an honest mistake, but if you are getting prices quoted to you, have them FAX the quotes with a signature before sending them your stuff. I let it slide as Joe was asking someone about the prices when I was on the phone with him and he sounded new, but it could be misconstrued as a bait and switch. ;ol;

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Just a note; There is no lag with my Big t-28. I push that pedal, it goes straight away ;)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a note; There is no lag with my Big t-28. I push that pedal, it goes straight away ;)
Do you have a recent video with your tach and boost gauge in the same shot while your mashing the pedal from a stop? Think I saw a video of yours (maybe 2-3 weeks ago?) and it didn't seem to take off until the 3k's?

Also, since I'm basically going to have the cold side of what you have + plus the exhaust housing porting, might be interesting to see what the differences are with 0-60 MPH. Big thing for me will be wheel spin so I'll have to do 60-70% pedal until I'm around 4k in 1st then mash all the way. Obviously I have a weight brake over you, but your car is closer to what most people will be weight-wise so it'd be more realistic than mine. Maybe run 1/4 tank of gas in your video to cut curb weight a bit.

When I do the rebuild post + upgrade, it'd be nice to show people roughly what the operating differences are and let them decide if they want the full upgrade or not as I'd like to link to yours showing at least a 0-60 MPH, and possibly a 0-95 MPH. Probably not your trap speed, but it shouldn't be too far off. Just use a straight shot of flat road with no hills to be accurate- assuming your even comfortable with that? If not, it's no biggie ;ol;

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'll go for a drive right now and see what I can do.

But my viggen clutch is slipping a bit in 3rd.
New 6 puck clutch disk goes in first week in August

I'll be back soon :p

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Ok, I'm driving at about 90% here. The clutch slips if I give it full pedal. So don't judge my car on this. I'm not making excuses, let me get it right then judge it ;)
This is just an example on what the turbo spools like

6 puck disk goes in first week in August

We need to Dyno our cars for a proper comparison

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish you "mates" had proper speedometers :lol:. Can never get used to km. Think I counted 7 seconds 0-96km (0-60mph). Had to laugh as there's no where to really mount the camera and I've used velcro to stick to the steering wheel about where you mounted yours. Other times I'll pull the steering wheel as close to me as it'll go and mount velcro to the top of the column as the camera is picky about where it's mounted (got velcro on bottom of camera). Too bad everyone lives so far apart :( it'd be fun to start an annual get together and rent a track on an off-day and have a go at it.

Hopefully I'll have everything in in about a week unless there's trouble getting stuff to fit and I'll post. We've been getting some really hot and muggy weather early this year, but once everything is together and the temps are in the 70's (preferably low 60's as it'd run faster) with little humidity I'll go to one of the local tracks and get some times. The dyno will only show when power is coming on as well as how much power, but it won't dictate which car is quicker. I'll probably wait until a tune is on the car before doing a dyno test as it's capped right now and not optimum.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts