SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys since I am new to the saab world I wanted to ask your advice. I am pretty familiar wih modding turbo cars and n/a's as having owned a few 996's and 930's in the past. I recently picked up an 00 9-5se 3.0 and as far as i can tell my options are limited to a remapped ecu, exhaust and higher flow intake and the 4cyls get all the goodies.. For the money/performance gains would you consider it worth it? I am not expecting this to be an autocrosss or de car but would like a little more step in it. also i am looking into a set of side skirts and an aero lip but can it be fitted to an se bumper or do i need to swap out the bumper all together? Thanks Nate

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Ok guys since I am new to the saab world I wanted to ask your advice. I am pretty familiar wih modding turbo cars and n/a's as having owned a few 996's and 930's in the past. I recently picked up an 00 9-5se 3.0 and as far as i can tell my options are limited to a remapped ecu, exhaust and higher flow intake and the 4cyls get all the goodies.. For the money/performance gains would you consider it worth it? I am not expecting this to be an autocrosss or de car but would like a little more step in it. also i am looking into a set of side skirts and an aero lip but can it be fitted to an se bumper or do i need to swap out the bumper all together? Thanks Nate
hard for me to say because i havent driven the 6 cyl, but i would say not worth it. you really dont get much punch with the tune thats availiable for it anyway. that turbo is SO small it cant handle more than its already given.

the nice thing about the 6 is that the powerband is fairly linear, you get the extra 2 cylinders to help you way down low and the turbo will pick up the extra slack.

as far as tuning to make it a fast car, i dont know about that...

· Registered
1,621 Posts
sounds about right. maybe even a bit more. if youve got the cash, why not right? but this turbo has issues after (and often before) 100k miles without extra horsepower (much like the gt17 in the LPT 4 cyl). so it might not be the way to go. when you start souping up a car, expect other things to fail. when you factor in that cost of things like a new turbo, which is $$$ for the v6, may as well buy the 4 cyl

the v6 has ample get up and go already. Of course, if you like to go fast, it won't be enough :cheesy:. (my 230bhp aero is not enough anymore..). Even in the v6 though youll keep up with 80 percent of cars on the road, its definitely not something i would call "slow".

it would just make me nervous tuning it because youd be one of only a handful of people maybe. not much to do with the v6. Suspension is the way to go if you wanna upgrade anything.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been having my porsche tech do the work on the car... have to say i kind of chuckled when i saw the tiny turbo on this thing for the first time. not quite what i am use too. love the car though. its a much more relaxed car to drive then the porsches. but god know i cant seem to leave things stock so i am sure it will get the best of me and my paycheck over time.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
personally, i think clear corners look better on any car regardless of color. ha. i just hate how the headlights are a nice white and then you have that ugly orange reflector. i love having the whole headlight housing pure white. its the first mod i did on my car. made a big difference, to me anyway.

· Registered
3,381 Posts
personally, i think clear corners look better on any car regardless of color. ha. i just hate how the headlights are a nice white and then you have that ugly orange reflector. i love having the whole headlight housing pure white. its the first mod i did on my car. made a big difference, to me anyway.
I prefer the orange, haha. You have to have fresh bulbs though with a nice deep amber. When the color starts peeling off and they're more yellowy they look doofy.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
I prefer the orange, haha. You have to have fresh bulbs though with a nice deep amber. When the color starts peeling off and they're more yellowy they look doofy.

like i said, all opinions man. haha. your car does look pretty sweeet in that pic thou man. aint gonna lie.

this is off topic buttt you going to carlisle in may dude?
i'll be there! ha.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Not sure. I'd like to, but it's decent drive from CT. Depends on my job/money situation I suppose.

ah, gotcha. whatchu need money for? my only expense will be gas. or does it cost to get in? lol. im gonna just raid the pantry for food in my house before i leave haha.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.