SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just installed my brand new t3 super 60 /.63 i got from Group9performance last night. I just drove it home after casue i was to tired to tune and finish everything. But this is my first after market turbo and should i go about tuning it?? any differently from my old stock turbo? Such as what base boost shout i set it at?? Also i have a greddy Type RS BOV and should i stiffen that up or make it softer? I hit like 12-15 psi to feel it and i don't think i was paying to much attention to the bov but i didn't really "hear it" ....maybe it was to soft??? Also like if i was just taking off and starting to spool it up then let off i would here a tiny tiny woosh out of my air filter. I haven't paid alot of attention to the details i just drove it to my other house so before i start tuning everything along with the APC if anyone has any suggestions on this please let me know. (Block is bored out with forged pistions, h2o injection, 3 exhaust, FMIC, ported 2.3 head, 91 5 sp trany)

anything would be great. Alot of you have more experience with bigger turbos so a great base line on this would help. Also should i change my driving habits interms of power due to this turbo. Driving habits i mean not a grocery run habit but a going for a friggin night drive....aka shift at a higher RPM....fether the gas etc etc. thanks everyone

·
Registered
779 Posts
500 miles of extended warm up and cool down periods with gentle driving, never boosting full, will do wonders for the longevity of the turbo. It lets the bearings seat and break in.

Use the same base boost you would with the stock unit. Your bigger turbo is giving you more efficient max boost. you may need to adjust your BOV to handle the higher max boost. The biggest thing is setting max boost at the proper psi and then provinding the fuelling it will require. Do you have a wideband o2 sensor?

Certainly leaving things tuned as they were with the stock turbo won't hurt anything unless you are getting much higher boost now.

James
Team Saabworks
http://www.saabworks.com

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying. I have 30lb G9 injectors, 3 bar and a stage 1 ecu chip. I'll hopefully start tuning it today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The sound comming out of the intake is compressor surge, means the bov is not opening and the air is going back into the turbo, putting backwards force on the bearings, not good for the turbo at all. you need to set the bov so it opens att the time.

·
Registered
510 Posts
maybe your bov is deffective? try swapping it out with another one of the same type. I have a single piston and spring bov and i have it adjusted to the hardest setting. When it's set too soft (for me) the pssht is very slight, but on the hardest setting it vents really well and I can hear it go off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Greyspg:

It sounds like a nice setup :D
How does it feel driving your new turbo?
I´m curious about turbolag as you chose the bigger A/R 0.63.

Does the car seem slow at low rpm and when will it begin to build boost/reach max boost?

Cheers!

Svante

1 - 6 of 6 Posts