SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there's anywhere I could get a 'mild' tune on my 2000MY 93, 3D auto, in Melbourne.
The car is in excellent condition and I wouldn't want to overstress the mechanicals, but I'm a little greedy for a few more horses.
(Possibly a stage 1 ?) I'm assuming this could be done with a re-programming of the ECU?
Most of the stuff relevant to this is quite dated... I have searched.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Just wondering if there's anywhere I could get a 'mild' tune on my 2000MY 93, 3D auto, in Melbourne.
The car is in excellent condition and I wouldn't want to overstress the mechanicals, but I'm a little greedy for a few more horses.
(Possibly a stage 1 ?) I'm assuming this could be done with a re-programming of the ECU?
Most of the stuff relevant to this is quite dated... I have searched.
Swedish Prestige , Huntingdale.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmm, interesting. They're asking $500 to do a re-program of my ECU. Not exactly cheap, but I presume they are reliable and experienced. They can't tell me what BHP increase I'd get, I guess that'd be in the 'seat of the pants'! Trouble is I've got to spend half a K to find out.
People talk as if this is almost a DIY project though. ?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Hmm, interesting. They're asking $500 to do a re-program of my ECU. Not exactly cheap, but I presume they are reliable and experienced. They can't tell me what BHP increase I'd get, I guess that'd be in the 'seat of the pants'! Trouble is I've got to spend half a K to find out.
People talk as if this is almost a DIY project though. ?
FIND yourself a stock ECU to match what You have . You can then guinea pig onto that . That is Rewrite/flash. Or better still get that spare from an Aero ....

As an example I could copy a factory stock Aero tune onto a spare . I dont know the BHP variants . But it is predominantly the Tune that makes the variance between a B205E and a B205R (the aero ) . SO whatever the output variance between the 2 Is , you will find that easy to find . ( I am too tired too look )

My son does the PC side of the works , ( I have a tech 2 and he connects his laptop to the OBD2) from memory he had me wire a couple of cables from the OBD2 to ECU connector so that he could copy the (insert name of Tune ) from my stage 1 Viggen to his stock Viggen. We did so on a spare ecu in cases of problems when flashing . (plug and play reversal)
But all good . SO he now has a copy of my $1000 tune ! ....and his original factory tune on a seperate ECU to revert to stock if so desired.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds VERY interesting Les. I guess I'd need to identify exactly what ECU I'd need -an Aero one it seems. (or perhaps one like my stock one could be re-programmed with the right tune) I don't know how / when the ECU might have changed over production years. I'll do some more 'homework'. I do like the idea of retaining my stock ECU in case I might want to revert to that. As far as I can see, the power difference would be going from 154bhp (mine) to 205bhp, which is a pretty healthy increase.
Cheers Les.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mimmi. (I'm going to have lots of questions about this!) Is the 'mating' of a different ECU to the car an easy job-using a Tech2 I assume?
Obviously I'd need a Tech2 and associated stuff. Are 'clone' T7 ECUs an issue?
Is something like this a good option:

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Nope. You need laptop and suitable sw and get T5/7 ECU connector with wires that you can connect wiring loom and AC power.
All clone ECUs are made like this.
If you are not familiar with this, I highly suggest that you get cloned T7 ECU matched to your car.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Thanks Mimmi. (I'm going to have lots of questions about this!) Is the 'mating' of a different ECU to the car an easy job-using a Tech2 I assume?
Obviously I'd need a Tech2 and associated stuff. Are 'clone' T7 ECUs an issue?
Is something like this a good option:
Read what I said ....
My son connects his laptop to the OBD2 from memory he had me wire a couple of cables from the OBD2 to ECU connector so that he could copy the (insert name of Tune

1 - 9 of 9 Posts