SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9-3 Turbo with a Hirsch chip in it, no idea about bhp, supposed to be 221bhp I believe. 2WD rolling road said 187bhp. I dont have any specific problems with the car, in fact it runs very well, 30mpg, but alas she's almost 10 years old now, and I thought it would be nice to see if she's still running smoothly. I got a local garage (owner had his own 900) to do a major service two years ago (fuel/air/oil filters, spark plugs - the cold ones), last year I just got an oil and filter change (I do less than 5k miles a year).

This year I haven't serviced her yet, as I dont know where to take it, local garage £25 for oil & filter or main dealer £200 for much the same thing or spend a few hundred geting a tune-up, spark plug re-gap etc.

In addition, the main dealer said my chain needs replacing soon, as it's rattling. The car has done 55k miles now ('98), they said it's engine out and would cost about £1,500. I'm having none of it, although I think the head needs re-torqing (very very slight weeping), and I'm also loosing a small amount of coolant, both coolant and oil are clean, so not sure where it's going. Is there a way of seeing how much is left in the tensioners?

I could really do with getting together with a guru to see if the car really needs work, if I believe the garage, could spend £2k, but I hardly use it, not worth spending the money and it runs without fault.
Is there somebody or a garage could do this (without just trying to get money out of me) I feel daft going to a garage and saying there's nothing wrong with my car, I just want to check!!

I would have loved to come to the Kodak meet, but it was too far away without planning.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Sorry I'm so far away ;oops:

55K for a timing chain sounds implausible. 100+ K and then some and some more is more like it. Unless you've completely negected servicing. Platonoff has a piccy of adjustment. But I doubt your chain is worn. Tensioner Tensioner

Retorquing is good and lasts for many thousands of miles. I guess you have a slight coolant leak at the front left side near the battery?

My coolant loss was via a leaky filler cap (reversed the rubber gasket) and then a leaky rad at about 100,000. The bit coming out of the gasket was minimal.

138,000 and going strong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts