SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I´m just wondering if there´s anyone out there who has ordered, or is considering to place an order of a MY08 SS/SC TTiD.

Did you get possibility to testdrive it? It seems that several journalists have had the opportunity to test TTiD, but not buying customers. At least what I´ve read.

There´s quite many people from europe reading this forum and I believe that the TTiD is very interesting engine option.

At the moment there seems to be quite long waitingtime if you order one. People who have ordered it and were supposed to receive it aroun week 45 are still waiting and now they´re estimated on week 1-10. How´s that?! Quite bad delay imho.

I´m really excited to get to drive one. And hopefully soon...

·
Registered
106 Posts
isn't that basically the Fiat Multijet found in Fiats, Alfas, etc.? That engine is incredible! I wish americans would catch on and finally get what europe has understood for decades. We're missing out on some really exciting engine options here. 45 mpg AND performance! we need to demand more from our automakers and insist they bring the cars they sell to the rest of the world.

sorry for the rant. I'm just upset that we can't get those here in the states.

best regards, hope you get to drive one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do contract work for GM and had the chance to drive a test mule about 6 months ago. I only got to drive it around a 2-mile course and only hit 80mph on a straightaway, but it is pretty sweet. It seemed to perform somewhere between my old '06 2.0 and my new '08 Aero and sounded more like the latter. It would be great to see it on this side of the pond, but we stupid Americans can't get over the diesel rep of the 70s.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
bb03aero said:
isn't that basically the Fiat Multijet found in Fiats, Alfas, etc.? That engine is incredible! I wish americans would catch on and finally get what europe has understood for decades. We're missing out on some really exciting engine options here. 45 mpg AND performance! we need to demand more from our automakers and insist they bring the cars they sell to the rest of the world.

sorry for the rant. I'm just upset that we can't get those here in the states.

best regards, hope you get to drive one.
photowagon said:
I do contract work for GM and had the chance to drive a test mule about 6 months ago. I only got to drive it around a 2-mile course and only hit 80mph on a straightaway, but it is pretty sweet. It seemed to perform somewhere between my old '06 2.0 and my new '08 Aero and sounded more like the latter. It would be great to see it on this side of the pond, but we stupid Americans can't get over the diesel rep of the 70s.
Import one...... Heres a tax dodge for ya... For some reason it costs £50,000 to buy a RANGE ROVER here in the UK mainland..... However, when I was down in the BRITISH SOVERIGN TERRITORY of the Falkland Islands..... the same (IDENTICAL) car cost only £30,000. If I bought it there new and shipped it immediatly back I would be charged the rest in tax as soon as it landed back on the mainland... unless it was more than six months old and had been driven more than 2000 miles, then I could ship it back tax free (dont ask me why cos I dont understand that myself). Taking into consideration import costs, I could have it back here for around £35k. I Hate TAX!! why can I get a car shipped almost litterally around the planet onto my drive for £15k less than walking down the road to the local dealer and buying one in the window?! how f*cked up is that?!
Anyway, isnt there anywhere on the entire american continent that sells the diesel saabs? Chile? Argentina? anywhere? Maybe your import laws are different there.... just a thought.

·
Registered
106 Posts
okay, we're getting a bit "off topic" but, while we're at it…

I had toyed with the idea of buying an Alfa in Argentina (the only place on this side of the pond that sells them) but shipping is just as expensive as from Italy and the idea of driving it back from there (through Venezuela, Columbia, Panama, etc.) scares the crap out of me.

I prefer to just remain bitter and complain.

I wonder if there is another point from the EU where shipping is less to the USA and where factory cars conform more closely to US regs.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Uh, no.

Diesels are not not sold in America because we're too stupid to forget the 1970s fiasco.

European diesels are not sold in the US because they can't meet US emissions regulations. They produce too much NOx, which in turn causes smog.

The emissions controls needed to make them emissions compliant kill the mileage. They also cost an arm and a leg, on top of the extra cost of the diesel in the first place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
true but not completely. but again - another subject.

true that we don't have access to blue diesel like europe but that's a bigger political can of worms than is worth opening here. Suffice to say, we won't be getting the TTiD in the states any time soon.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The Californians, those proponents of the ZEV electric car (sorry, just watched who killed the electric car) require NOx output lower than most diesel cars, but only on cars. If the vehicle weighs over 6000lbs then you can pollute away. So VW can still have Toureg Diesels, but not Passat diesels, go figure.

So even if you could buy it, you struggle to import it as it will not meet approval in this country.

Though DSL_Saab managed it.
http://www.dzlsabe.com/

·
Registered
219 Posts
Latest I've heard is the the Cadillac CTS gets a 2.9l v-6 diesel in 2009; the Saturn Aura gets some form of 4 cylinder diesel the following year when it goes to Epsillon2. Could be that the Saab will also get a diesel in 2010 or soon after.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That's not what I've heard...

I was working for a diesel emissions control supplier as recently as August, and I haven't heard ANY plans for passenger car diesels from GM. We provide parts for the Duramax diesels, so I would think that if the CTS or Saturn was getting a diesel, I would know about it.

I hope I'm wrong, of course. I'd love an Aura with a 4 cylinder turbodiesel. I'd hope that Saab gets that engine as well.

GM is going to release a 4.5L V8 turbodiesel for the big SUVs and light pickups in 2010. I worked on some parts for that engine as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
None of the GM passenger car Diesels are US programs - they're all from Europe (Opel or the GM powertrain/Fiat JV in Turin) With the common rail injection they won't have much trouble bringing them over here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
they would sell well in today's marketplace too.

the Fiat/Alfa 1.9 multijet is one of the coolest engines out there (in my humble opinion)

I dunno… but I think a TTiD running on blue or bio diesel would make a great great car with a good clean engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
According Fiat, the TTiD was designed to carry out Euro 5 emission regulations, though it´s claimed as Euro 4. Does anyone know if it is still much over US limits?

And about the TTiD, there´s a huge delay in delivery. If you ordered TTiD 9-3 in september, you´d probably get it at the end february. That´s almost 6 months!! It seems that Saab didn´t expect it to be as popular as it´s now seems to be.

Best way to compare the performance is to take 2.0T/automatic and TTiD /automatic.

TTiD - city 9.7/ highway 5.2/ combined 6.9
2.0T - city 14,7/highway 7,0/ combined 9,8

They have almost identical performance, but TTiD has almost three litres better combined consumption figures. And the real world difference tends to be even more.

Everyone who´s driven a modern turbo diesel engine, knows why so many people choose diesel over petrol engine, even though it´s noisier and somewhat more dirty.

Those combined figures means 590km for 2.0T and 840km for TTiD, per tank. On a highway you´ll get easily over 1000km per tank. And that´s really something.

I find it also interesting that there´s no comments in this topic from fellow Europeans? So, once again, has anyone ordered TTiD, or is thinking about it?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Marko A said:
Everyone who´s driven a modern turbo diesel engine, knows why so many people choose diesel over petrol engine, even though it´s noisier and somewhat more dirty.

Those combined figures means 590km for 2.0T and 840km for TTiD, per tank. On a highway you´ll get easily over 1000km per tank. And that´s really something.
My parents own a Citroen C5 Turbo diesel. It was quite a surreal experiance to be able to drive that from North of London to Noirmoutier, Pays de la Loire, France about 550 miles on a tank of fuel.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=stansted+england&daddr=Noirmoutier,+Pays+de+la+Loire,+France&sll=49.21042,17.138672&sspn=31.922866,95.800781&ie=UTF8&cd=2&ll=50.162824,0.439453&spn=7.800629,23.950195&z=6&om=1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts