SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question because TSBs seem to come up a bit.

A warranty recall: A known issue with your car that the dealership will fix for free because Saab will refund the the work. Right?

Is a TSB a technical service bullitin that basically says: Yup, theres something wrong with your car, it happens to all (enter MY here), and were not going to give you any discount to fix it, you need to bite the bullet and fix it yourself.

Is there any way to get discount work on your car with a KNOWN Saab issue? Or does Saab kind of throw their hands in the air and say "sucks to be you buddy"

The reason I ask is because my wifes Accord has had small issues fixed, out of warranty, because they were known issues. Small things like a trunk rattle, her radio screen went out, bad headlights, etc. All fixed under Honda, because its a problem with all these MY's

This comes up because every other day I'm on here, and it seems like so many people have "known" Saab issues that pop up, that Saab doesn't want to have anything to do with. Shouldn't they be fixed, or at least fixed at a discounted price? For example, window regulators, don't you think saab should give you a price break because they are known to fail all the time?

I am having problems with my fuel guage acting wacky, and although it doesn't affect my car, it is a known issue with 2003s, and it needs an entire new fuel pump. $700 fix!

Maybe I am off my mark here, but it seems to me that its wacky that Saab won't do anything for their loyal customers. I can get Honda to fix every known problem, with no issues asked. Just call Honda of USA, explain the situation politely, and they are more than willing to help.

Or do i just have a bad dealership who doesn't want to deal with saab?

Sorry for the long post, just looking for answers to all my crazy questions! :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Saab does give "discounts" on such work, but they usually do it by supplementing the price of the replacement parts for known issues. Parts prices are often lower for parts commonly purchased by owners compared to obscure parts that rarely need to be replaced. An example of this is the significant price drop which occurred on DI cassettes on the older Saabs as many problems developed here. Eventually they recalled the DI cassettes on some more recent models. Not an issue on our 9-3SS/SC's, but major issue on all Saabs 1989-present other than the 9-3SS/SC.

My best advice is that if you have a "potential" problem that your dealer is blowing off, make sure that your service visit is documented on paper that you brought the car in for it. If the problem then becomes an issue after the warranty is up, then at least you have some evidence that the problem was investigated and ignored. Makes it more likely that you and your attorney can get the repair free of charge.

But yes, overall a TSB (from Saab or just about ANY carmaker) means that 1.) A problem is common, but not common enough for a recall, or does not pose a safety hazzard so no recall is likely, 2.) A new or updated part or procedure has been designed to correct the problem, and 3.) The costs of this repair will be covered under factory warranty IF the car is still in the warranty period....if not then it's at the owner's expense.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nickshu said:
My best advice is that if you have a "potential" problem that your dealer is blowing off, make sure that your service visit is documented on paper that you brought the car in for it. If the problem then becomes an issue after the warranty is up, then at least you have some evidence that the problem was investigated and ignored. Makes it more likely that you and your attorney can get the repair free of charge.
Thats the thing, i have never owned this car, or any car for that matter under a warranty period, so I don't know what I can do about that.

Nickshu said:
The costs of this repair will be covered under factory warranty IF the car is still in the warranty period....if not then it's at the owner's expense.
Yeah, thats what i thought would happen. Of course Saab will fix things under warranty, all car manufacturers will. But when you have problems out of warranty, they seem to do nothing about it. I just have found that Honda was so easy to deal with, and understanding compared to saab. I mean, just the radio light when out, and i just got it fixed free of charge. Car has 100K on it! Not really a safety issue if you ask me.

Another issue i would like them to address: squeaky, creaky suspension. Put a friggin' kit together for someone to be able to fix it themselves correctly, instead of having you go to the dealership to lube it up at your cost, only to have to do it again in a couple months.

Well, i guess that is just part of this company, hopefully it will get better though!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
robhurlburt said:
I just have found that Honda was so easy to deal with, and understanding compared to saab. I mean, just the radio light when out, and i just got it fixed free of charge. Car has 100K on it!
A 10-minute fix that involves $3 worth of parts given away for free isn't impressive.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Nickshu said:
But yes, overall a TSB (from Saab or just about ANY carmaker) means that 1.) A problem is common, but not common enough for a recall, or does not pose a safety hazzard so no recall is likely, 2.) A new or updated part or procedure has been designed to correct the problem, and 3.) The costs of this repair will be covered under factory warranty IF the car is still in the warranty period....if not then it's at the owner's expense.
It is important to realize that the majority of TSBs are informational and do not represent a problem. They supplement or update information found in the owner's manual or the service manual, outlining new maintenance procedures, fluid recommendations, etc. There's a TSB for GM vehicles about whether it's OK to use 10% ethanol blend fuel, for example. Another TSB about what vehicles can be serviced with the new Dexron-VI transmission fluid. Saab has a TSB about engine oil requirements. Ford has a TSB about how to properly clean leather seats. And so on.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Saab dealers will fix TSB's...if there is a problem and its under warranty. If the car isn't under warranty, the district rep will usually work with people (if the car isn't modded or has been dealer serviced).

I've bought used cars with warranty time left and gone over the TSB's. The car was taken to the dealer and the "problems" were described to the service rep. in terms amazingly similar to what was on the TSB. The service rep said, "That sounds like a service bulletin we have for your car". I said, "You are really good at what you do". They fixed the car for free and the car ran great for a long time.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've had a couple of problems described in a TSB (not on my Saab, but on other cars) where I've actually had to tell the dealer that there is a TSB for the problem.

In one case, I printed out the TSB and gave it to the service advisor, who looked at it and handed it back to me. Waited an hour only to be told they couldn't find any problem. Asked to get the mechanic in the car to see if I could make the problem happen and when I got the mechanic in the car I handed him the TSB and said "I think this is the problem, because I can feel the vibration at the air filter box when it's making the noise". Mechanic agreed to do the TSB and guess what, the problem went away.

In another case, my mom took her car to a dealership (not the selling dealer) about a noise it was making going over bumps. That dealership blamed it on worn-out brake pads and tried to sell her a brake job. (The brake pads went another 15K before they needed replacing). I found a TSB for the problem that had been issued several months prior. I took the car to the selling dealership and showed them the TSB and how it would make the noise when you pushed on the car and how you could feel the strut mount vibrating when it did so. They did the TSB on both sides, not just the one making noise.

So my experience has been that dealerships don't always look for TSBs. Thankfully, my local library has Mitchell's On Demand and it's frequently updated so I can look up TSBs myself.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brianl703 said:
A 10-minute fix that involves $3 worth of parts given away for free isn't impressive.
Considering it isn't a 10min fix, and a $350 dollar part (ebay, who knows what dealership costs), it is impressive. Her entire climate control is integrated into the radio, its all one part.

I am still listening to other peoples opinions, and I appreciate them all. I will keep looking into TSBs and dealership work

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
robhurlburt said:
Considering it isn't a 10min fix, and a $350 dollar part (ebay, who knows what dealership costs), it is impressive. Her entire climate control is integrated into the radio, its all one part.
I doubt they installed a new one, so the cost of the part is irrelevant, only the cost to repair it.

What happened is that the dealership removed her radio/climate controls, sent it off for repair, and installed another set of radio/climate controls that had been repaired.

The actual bulb replacement (if it was a bad backlight and not a bad display; a bad backlight is the most common failure) doesn't take that long nor does it cost that much. I've done it before with other radios. Sone of them are even designed to be replaceable without desoldering anything, making it easier.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trust me, they installed a brand new unit. they said they would, and her previous unit had a scratch on the face that was no longer there. There was an issue with the circuit board and a resistor burning up for the backlight. it wasn't just bulb that went, it was the board.

Now they might remanufacture them, probably, but it isn't just a bulb going out.

some reading "
Honda had a product problem on that radio that caused the display to blank out even though the radio itself continues to play. Honda extended the warranty on the radio and will replace the radio display at no charge if your car is still within the extended warranty period of 7 years or 100,000 miles. Looks like you'll qualify for a free replacement. contact your honda dealer for repairs.here's what honda's bulletin 04-027 says(printed circuit board) could cause the audio display tobecome dark or dim, and prevent the audio/HVACpanel buttons from illuminating.To ensure that customers have adequate warrantycoverage for this potential problem, American Honda isincreasing the warranty on the audio unit display to7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. hope that helps"

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
robhurlburt said:
trust me, they installed a brand new unit. they said they would, and her previous unit had a scratch on the face that was no longer there. There was an issue with the circuit board and a resistor burning up for the backlight. it wasn't just bulb that went, it was the board.

Now they might remanufacture them, probably, but it isn't just a bulb going out.
They absolutely do remanufacture them. They aren't going to throw a (probably) $500 unit in the trash because it needs a resistor. (Resistors don't cost much, less than a bulb, and aren't difficult to replace, no more so than a soldered-in bulb in fact). But they don't remanufacture them at the dealership, so to avoid your wife driving around with a gaping hole in her dash for a month they gave her another remanufactured unit instead of making her wait for hers to be repaired.

Many manufacturers besides Honda offer extended warranties on parts of the car known to have problems. Ford offered to replace $600 worth of underhood wiring harnesses, a job which pays 8 hours in labor, for free up to 10 years or 100,000 miles. I had this done on my old car.

But neither this Honda problem or that Ford problem are standard TSBs. A standard TSB does not extend warranty coverage, and I suspect you will have about as much luck getting Honda to cover a standard TSB outside warranty as you will Ford. Or Saab for that matter. Your chances of this improve, I'm told, if you're the original owner of the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts