SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Just picked up another turbo unit as mine currently has quite a few hairline cracks in it, and cars behind me disappear (in LOADS of smoke, not due to APC mods) so it's time to replace.

Got the battery out, exhaust off, just don't even know how to start on the 4 manifold bolts - One I can't see how you get to it, and the other 3 only vaguely look like bolts.

What's the safest way to remove it with least damage? Some bolts are not bolt shaped any more! Grinders can't get into the small gaps to cut off.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You need a nut splitter, something like this if you can get it in; http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail....e=2-Piece Nut Splitter Set (12-16mm & 16-22mm)
Failing that, drill a series of small holes in line along one side of the nut. Gradually enlarge the holes 'till they join up. Then open join with a suitable chisel 'till loose. Remove nut. The other nuts and bolts you can remove with a combination of socket and ring spanners, and determination. Indexing, ratchet ring spanners are very useful here. Remember to use penetrating oil around the nut well before you start. When you have loosened the nut, remember to work it backwards and forwards with oil to loosen it, rather than undoing it all at once. I think it's also possible to remove the turbo with elbow still attached. You will be able to get your grinder on it then or use a torch.

PS Take care if you are tempted to use use pipe grips such as Stilsons on the rounded nuts.. They will probably grip the nut, but you can shear the stud off. Then you will have the turbo off and another problem to contend with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got my nut splitter and it worked a treat on a couple of them - Cheers. The turbo split in half so I could get a grinder to the bolts around the back of the manifold - All off! Lovely weather for working on cars too.

Discovered a bloody huge crack in the turbo! Car still drove quick with this on, but it couldn't of been running at full power .... Can't wait to fit the new one tomorrow - Only need to replace a small piece of rubber hose - everything else looks ok.

One other question - There is a small white plastic valve which has three hoses and an electrical connector on it - one of the hoses goes to the turbo, and can't remember where the others go ... Just wanted to know what it is?

Check the picture - Crack Kills!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
That's your APC solenoid. Cuts boost when detonation is detected. One hose goes to high pressure side of turbo body, second hose to waste gate diaphragm, last hose goes to low pressure intake pipe to turbo. Your pic cracks me up. P

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a feeling it was that - I just think it looks quite innocent, yet it's very important. It's bracket had rusted out, and it was looking quite sorry for itself.... I still can't believe my turbo didn't blow itself to pieces or fail entirely - That's pre 93 saabs for you - Only trust a saab with a scania logo underneath. All my ordinary car friends were telling me that the rings had gone blah blah blah - all my smoking issues were with this crackers turbo onl .... It had about 8mm play in the bearing too - Oilfeedtastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts