SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been trying to fix my 08 error code. I opened it up and realized I was missing the white stop lever all together. The yellow shaft seemed just fine. So, I pick up the newer reinforced stop lever from my dealer and get to work on it.

First I have trouble getting the stupid thing on. I have to spin my shaft just a little counter-clockwise to get the stop lever on. Finally, it goes on. Now, I'm trying to line up my step motor (i think that's what slides in the shaft) and screw it in place. It takes a little pushing to slide in the shaft and then.....pop :cry:.

The little part of the yellow shaft that squeezes the stop lever poped off. Now, the step motor (could still be wrong) slides in WAY too easy and apparently spins without moving the shaft. Do the diagnostic and now I've got 3 problems instead of 1.

1 ----- 13
2 ----- 13
? ----- 08 (i think it's 1 again, could say 3)

So, I obviously need more help with this nightmare. On a good note, I did revive what I thought was a dead blower motor. One brush was wore pretty good and the other was looking good. Put a little electric contact cleaner and some very soft sanding, and back to life frankenstein.

As far as the problem I caused, have I totally screwed up now, or is there hope? Also, how did I cause two error 13 codes? Did I possibly do something wrong with the blower motor? I noticed two flaps and I moved them a little. Maybe shouldn't have done that?

Thanks as always

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Try lightly hammering the shaft of the motor back into place.

That fixed all of my error codes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valbowski1980 said:
Try lightly hammering the shaft of the motor back into place.

That fixed all of my error codes.
I did that when I first took apart everything to see what was causing the 08 code. It seems now the yellow plastic piece and white stop lever don't squeeze the motor because the little yellow piece broke.

G

·
Have your dealer fix this. I had the same problem. I replaced my driver side just fine then did the passenger as a preventative measure only to find that i couldn't get the step motor back in. The motor can be 'rewound' by a tech 2. Keep trying to hammer it in there and your wallet is in for a world of hurt. If you get the yellow piece jammed in there then you need a new core or the $200 repair kit.

I am posting the following photos for your edification. Yes those parts angled at a 90 degree angle are very weak. No, there is no way to replace the yellow (driver) or blue (passenger) piece without removing the whole core or making a hole in it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe there's some confusion. My yellow piece isn't broken in the middle, or down the shaft where most seem to break. It's actually broken now right at the very top where the white stop lever slides over the two notches. Neither of the notches are broke, but you know where the two slits are? That piece that can be pressed and has a little lip to allow it to lock on the stop lever, that piece broke. You can barely see it in your second picture. Look to the far left of the yellow piece closest to the carpet. You see that little lip that hangs out towards the bottom of the screen, just south of one of the notches the white stop lever slides over? That piece broke.

The problem I'm having now, is that my step motor slides in and out of the yellow shaft TOO easily. When that piece broke, it allowed the step motor to slide in, while not making enough contact to actually spin (I guess this is what it does?) the yellow piece.

So, do I need a new shaft now and how do I remove the yellow one if so?

G

·
there is a D shaped crevice into which the step motor fits. Because your step motor was not rotated in such a way taht allows it to fit into this spot you most likely forced the yellow piece in too far while screwing in the motor. you need to pull the yellow piece back towards you and realign the two. That clip needs to hold the arm on but i suspect thats nothing that krazy glue can't fix. I did this on both sides as this piece didn't break but became a bit limp. But let me say again that theres not much you can do as the servo in the step motor is not rotated in such a way to allow linkage between the two. The dealer or an indie are really the only ones that can help at this point.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, guess I'm screwed because I can't find the piece that broke. I can buy the new piece that saab sells for $1.80 can't I? As far as the step motor goes, I'm fairly certain someone around here found a way to actually index it when you take it apart. I just don't know how to do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think you will be OK

Crosseye,

I think you sill be fine if you install the $1.80 shaft repair and your replacement stop arm is still OK. To get the shaft out you want to cut it about where I marked it, or maybe a bit more to the left. (This would be toward you knee if you were sitting in the car.)

To index the actuator to get it to line up just remove the little Torx screws and rotate the brass shaft on the gearbox with the motor out. You can even fit it in the heater w/o the motor to make sure the alignment is OK.

Hope this helps,

Joe

http://home.jtan.com/~joe/saab/saab_blend_shaft.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't do anything drastic!

Hi,

Having read these posts, it sounds like there is nothing seriously wrong. Even though you have broken the clip, everything should still work fine. The step motor has a long shaft which only fits one way, and should turn easily even if the clip is broken.

What you need to do is dismantle the step motor - then you can spin the shaft freely until it fits snugly and refit it. I suspect that if the shaft matches the motor correctly you'll have no trouble.

DOn't try removing the whole shaft until you have tried this! That will be a bigger job.

James

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with James on this. Make sure the motor shaft goes into the blend door properly first before going to cut things apart. FWIW, the brass shaft is keyed to the blend door shaft and just slides in. However, it will not rotate in the blend door shaft because of the key.

Drive Safe,

Joe

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, I'll try to go through a couple of things first this weekend before I get to any cutting. First thing I need to do was suggested by Joe in that I make sure the step motor is actually working correctly before attempting to hook it back to the shaft. I'll need to run a couple ACC tests with just the step motor hooked up to make sure it's functioning. Then, I'll try to line it up with the yellow shaft. However, I'm fairly certain, without the clip, the step motor fits entirely too loose in the yellow shaft.

If that doesn't work, my question is how do I get that far down the yellow shaft? I can pull it a little, but it doesn't come up that far to be able to cut low enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts