SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today my automatic trunk-opener (or what to call it) stopped working. or rather: it wil open the trunk. but not close it again. I took the thingy out and it seems like it is ok. measuring the voltage over the plug shows 12v when opening, but does not change polarity when it is supposed to close. is this the way it's supposed to work or?..........

did anyone understand what the heck I am talking about?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
What, you don't have one Cleve? Time for another Poll :D

I haven't ever looked at my electric latch, but on my c900 it looked like it was sort of spring loaded so that voltage was required to open it but it snapped back on its own. Of course my memory could be fuzzy, and it could be a completely different design.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
CleveSaab said:
You have an automatic trunk C-L-O-S-E-R?!?!?! Huh?!?!?
Yeah, I can only say... Whaaaaaa?

Do you mean to tell me that SAAB made a mechanical device that lifts that heavy, heavy hatch up for me and will lower it back down at the push of a button? I have never heard of that and I really want one.. Imagine coming back to the car after skiing and the trunk is waiting ready for it's load :cool:

Time to go skulk around the SAAB junkyard...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
In my '96 900S, the interior door-panel pushbutton only releases the hatch lock via a solenoid inside the hatch door.
Better is the older design of an exterior trunk-lid or hatch door control..
I doubt if there is any mechanical override in case of failure..
I like the concept of automatic closing and or locking doors and hatches - on a $50,000 car...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Fast_Ed said:
Do you mean to tell me that SAAB made a mechanical device that lifts that heavy, heavy hatch up for me and will lower it back down at the push of a button?
Sorry guys, was only available on the 'S' models. Looks like all you turbo people need to do a little weight lifting in preparation for openning the hatch. I'm going to guess its a solenoid based mechanism that opens its, than then has a spring that pulls it back. I bet your spring has sprung and isn't pushing the mechanism back to its 'home' position. I would pull mine apart to tell you how it should be but I must run to school for a second time today to listen in awe about double integrals and switching their limits around. If I haven't been bored to death, I'll take a look when I get back.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
S4L wrote:
Sorry guys, was only available on the 'S' models.
Don't tell them that! They're already jealous about the heated steering wheel and the mini-fridge in the glove compartment. You'll just make them feel worse.

·
Registered
591 Posts
What? No one with a vibrating seat?
No, seriously, I have a button on my door that only unlocks the trunk and that's the only thing it does. It locks again after about 15 sec. by itself. Have no idea about those "lifting devices"!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the solenoid is realy hard to pull back out, so I dont think a spring could pull it back out, when I reverse the polarity on the plug; the shaft comes back out. my guess is that the controll unit for it has two releais, and the one pulling it back out is burned.(still a bit strange; one of the leads are black, and all of the other black clables back there is earthed ).........and yeah: and the lid doesnt close automaticly (duh) the lock does.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
earthworm said:
I doubt if there is any mechanical override in case of failure..
Sure there is! It's called the key. :cheesy: When you turn the key in the hatch's key slot, it mechanically unlocks the hatch and bypasses the electric release completly.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
;oops: Sorry bsg, we're being no help at all.

I guess it's not surprising that the vert has a different setup than the hatchback. Since I don't think many of us have seen one of these, perhaps you could post some pics for brainstorming purposes. If so, I vow to keem my smart *** comments to myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts