SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was "borrowing" a road sign laying on the ground when i went to unlock my trunk and it wouldnt unlock. It seems that the locking mechanism got pushed in or something, cuz when i go to turn the lock, i dont feel any pressure whatsoever. I must get stuff in and out of the trunk by way of the backseat. PLEASE HELP!!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know it may sound silly, but have you tried locking the doors before opening the trunk? That's the way my car behaves; furthermore, I feel no pressure at all when turning the key, but it engages the lever under the lip of the trunk to actually opening it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is a small plastic thing inside there which probably is broken. A colleague just had this problem on his 90. If you present the problem for a SAAB dealer I am sure they will know whst small part it is. Costs just a few dollars.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
the other possibility is that one of the linkages has come lose. the whole mechanism depends on a couple of push-fit link arms and cams. Best thing to do is to open the trunk (if you can, if not, just work inside the car) Remove the vinyl liner from the inside of the boot-lid. You should then see a black box containing the mechanism. Remove the lid from the box and this will give you access. Once inside everything should become clear. My guess is you've either dropped a link or broken something. Best to look first because it may be easily repairable.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi , if its a hatch back . Lower the rear seat. and take out the panel .You'll get it. Pat

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
the difference between manual and central-locking is that the boot contains an actuator to operate the cam that you would normally operate using the key in the boot lock. Pretty much no difference - just one has a black box and an extra link-rod.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, thx guys, i have no tools here (gasp), but ill bring it over to my dads later tonight and maybe we can fix, thx for the help

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brought it to my dads. Turned out, no tools were needed, except for a standard screw driver to remove plastic fastners. The problem was a linkage came undone. Problem solved.

I also discovered today that this car "technically" has central locking system, which only works by way of the driver door. There is no switch to unlock the doors though. I never knew this car had this because the fuse was pulled when igot the car. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
may well find the central locking relay is busted also. seems strange that the fuse isn't in there. Not sure about the left-hand-drive but on our cars the central locking relay is behind the knee-board on the left-hand-side. You would probably need to remove the knee board to get to it although I have heard of people bending some things out of the way so they can reach in and get to it. It's a black plastic box about 5 x 1 x 2 inches and it is attached to the top of the floor heating tube just in front of the passengers knees (RHD)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts