SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject: Trunk Leak, '97 Saab 900 SE 4-door.

This is one of the trickiest leaks to find and easiest to fix. I had to do a lot of digging around on forums before I was tipped off to this.

I was getting a lot of water in the passenger's side of the trunk. When I pulled out the liner I was getting some dribbles from the passenger's taillight seal but the main source seemed to be coming from inside the fender from the fuel filler area. And every time it rained or I washed the car, I got a lot of water in the trunk.

This didn't make sense at first because it looked like everything around the filler simply drained straight to the outside of the car and into the rear wheel well. I discovered that's not the case. The plastic liner for the fuel filler door punches through the fender and leads directly to the inside of the vehicle. There's a thin foam seal that's all that's stopping water from draining straight into the trunk. Over time it breaks down.

STEPS TO FIX:
(This is a 20-minute job.)
1) Pry off the plastic ring around the fuel filler with a flat blade screwdriver (see pic). Make sure and use a towel under the driver to protect your paint.
2) Unscrew the two 8mm bolts securing the fuel filler door. Remove the door.
3) Then pull out the plastic liner, I just squeezes out past the rubber seal around the filler neck. You'll see the tired foam seal (see pic). You'll see the gapping hole behind it that leads to your trunk.
4) Remove the loose bits of the old foam and clean the plastic liner and area around the hole. Apply black silicon sealant to the flange of the liner.
5) Reassemble and let dry for 24 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Thank you, sir - a great write up, and now a favorite;ol;

1 - 6 of 6 Posts